Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 gti starting issue  (Read 12256 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Mk5 gti starting issue
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 10:14:39 am »
What spark plugs do they take?
Recommended plugs are NGK BKR7EIX Iridium plugs around £28 from ebay. I received mine in two days. Take one out of the car and have a look at it maybe even post a picture up in possibl?.

Offline Clgale1988

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 10:22:53 am »
The car also slightly hunts abit when idling

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 10:27:53 am »
Mine doesn't hunt at all, but that starting issue is there every day without fail

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 10:42:36 am »
Could well be the infamous cylinder coked up with gunk as it's a very common problem with the tfsi engine. apparently the new polo's have 8 injectors to overcome this so worth a think about the tfsi with coking in the inlet side?. There are many threads on this and I replied to a good few of them myself when I first started using the forum to its full and never came off it  :signLOL:

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 11:01:13 am »
Could well be the infamous cylinder coked up with gunk as it's a very common problem with the tfsi engine. apparently the new polo's have 8 injectors to overcome this so worth a think about the tfsi with coking in the inlet side?. There are many threads on this and I replied to a good few of them myself when I first started using the forum to its full and never came off it  :signLOL:
I'm wondering if this could be failing injectors, or clogged injector nozzles, pity there is no easy way of checking and or replacing them without the removal of the inlet manifold

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 11:08:12 am »
@Beej once manifold if off you may as well clean the inlet side the head  :signLOL:
You need vagcom on it to check the injector parameters. I checked for misfires last night but  Oundle detect any.

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 11:23:04 am »
@Beej once manifold if off you may as well clean the inlet side the head  :signLOL:
You need vagcom on it to check the injector parameters. I checked for misfires last night but  Oundle detect any.
I had it cleaned in March when rfd was done, which I why I am either considering injectors or lpfp, but from what I gather,the lpfp doesn't really generate any real pressure and that our engines/fuel supply setup is so that fuel pressure is only really generated on engine cranking/running. I doubt it would be the lpfp at fault, unless the valve on the return side of it has failed and fuel is returning back into the tank, rather than staying under pressure in the system hence the time taken before the starting splutter appears again

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 01:03:53 pm »
Have you done a throttle body reset lately?. Cleaned it out?. Checked your pcv if not already done do? .

Offline Clgale1988

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 01:22:35 pm »
So isit wortg doing plugs and coils 1st then if still there clean cylinder out and clean throttle body out?? Is all this easy to do?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 01:25:06 pm »
Throttle bodies a mother to do that's why I'm not touching it till the whole manifold comes off.
As I said, check your plugs and gapping on them first as that's an easy job. can't say swop your coils over as you don't have vagcom.

Offline Clgale1988

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 01:36:10 pm »
How does the cylinder get coked up of its regulary had a oil change then surely it wont get that bad will it?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You

Offline Clgale1988

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 01:53:39 pm »
Il try plugs and get some injector cleaner see if that works also i have only been running the car on normal unleaded no super unleaded or anything will that make a difference

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 02:03:13 pm »
Do the basics as mentioned. you can try change the fuel to 97 ron super unleaded as it will smoothen out your drive but not sure how much it will help in the long run as the damage already seems to be done. I've used BP untimate and it makes the car feel a litre quicker on throttle response but I use regular 95 ron although should be running 97 as specified on the fuel cap but never bothers me. did a log on vagcom a while back and Dan_FR said it was running fine so I'm happy with that.

Offline Clgale1988

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 02:07:09 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/151123439925

These the correct plugs says for a civic but id imagine still fit the golf