Make a donation

Author Topic: High mileage Gti  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Gaslad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
High mileage Gti
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:39:50 pm »
Hi all

I'm looking to buy a Gti or a GTD now in my budget (10k) there is quite a few but they are all high mileage around 80k miles+.

I'm new to the golf scene I'm use to jap cars so I'm a little cautious in what I'm buying . Is it a risk buying a high milleage Gti ? Am I likely to be spending alot of money on it?

Am also considering a dsg box but the fact it can be costly to replace is really putting me off.

Thanks
 :happy2:

Offline Wash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 10
Re: High mileage Gti
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 05:06:16 pm »
My old GTI had 160k on it and had no issues whatsoever. Mileage isn't necessarily an issue, would rather look at condition.

Guessing with a budget of 10k you're looking at MK6 GTIs? Would do some research into timing chain issues with the MK6.

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 05:18:22 pm »
I'd ask the local Stealers for one even though they're Stealers as you'll get service history stamped booklet and know everything about the cars health as the customer should have these on file.

Offline Gaslad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 06:45:58 pm »
My old GTI had 160k on it and had no issues whatsoever. Mileage isn't necessarily an issue, would rather look at condition.

Guessing with a budget of 10k you're looking at MK6 GTIs? Would do some research into timing chain issues with the MK6.

Yea the mk6 gti I'm hopefully going to look at a couple tomorrow. Is there any signs I can look out for, for the cam chain issue?

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:50:31 pm »

Have to agree with what WASH said. Mileage is nothing. There are some good mk6's around for less the 10k. Just wait for the right car  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline coldcuppatea

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 08:25:12 pm »
I have a late (2008) MK5 with a pretty high spec and 97k on the clock that I paid half of your budget for. I'm sure you have a good reason for going mk6, but might be worth looking at a late mk5 and saving a wodge of cash (to spend on a load of mods!). Just a thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gaslad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:18:06 pm »
Hi guys thanks for the replys

Iv put a deposit on a stunning mk6 Gti 76k miles ,VWR edition with VWR upgrades (VWR intake,springs and map) with certificate to prove.

Should be picking it up next week I can't wait!