Make a donation

Author Topic: My new gti  (Read 7425 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
Re: My new gti
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 04:21:21 pm »
Which bolt? I used a quarter inch ratchet (6 inches long) and a 2inch extension, but just used that to break the bolts loose. Then took the extension off the ractchet and just turned the extension by hand to get the bolt fully out.

I would get a really secure fitting (bit fully into the bolt head and nice and tight) and then use force. Saying that, you DONT want to round off the head - which is why I put emhphasis on the secure bit.

Out of interest where in the uk are you?

Offline moy24

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2016, 05:18:10 pm »
Which bolt? I used a quarter inch ratchet (6 inches long) and a 2inch extension, but just used that to break the bolts loose. Then took the extension off the ractchet and just turned the extension by hand to get the bolt fully out.

I would get a really secure fitting (bit fully into the bolt head and nice and tight) and then use force. Saying that, you DONT want to round off the head - which is why I put emhphasis on the secure bit.
I can get the 2 Allen key bolt off but the one hidden away a bit is really fiddly to do. I have to try again over the weekend but will borrow ratchet extension and axle stand, as I jacked it up and had the wheel under it just in case but I'll feel more safe with Adel stand. I live in suffolk near ipswich.

Out of interest where in the uk are you?

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2016, 11:46:12 pm »
Bit far from me but yeah give it a go,

On a side note you should never ever work under a car on a Jack, even with a with wheel under its still potential lethal. Axle stands if going underneath

Offline moy24

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 09:31:07 am »
I will get some axle stand , I no I took a risk won't happen again thanks for your concern. I even took the plastic mud guards off too for more space .

Offline bad devotions

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 09:53:39 am »
I will get some axle stand , I no I took a risk won't happen again thanks for your concern. I even took the plastic mud guards off too for more space .

jeez! i had my car up on two axle stands the other day and had a 25 tonne trolly jack on another point just in case the axle stands failed and i still sh*t myself! no way would i stick my head under a 1 tonne + car with just a jack! deffo get some axle stands  :happy2:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 10:54:37 am »
A bloke died under his audi when working off a jack.not top long ago   :sad1:

I hope it wasnt the stock jack that comes with the car, they dont call them widow makers for no reason!

Offline moy24

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 06:47:34 pm »
It was a trolley Jack. I just brought set of axle stand from halfords. Was thinking is it better to replace the diverter valve with a latest oem one or get a r tech upgrade one or similar.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 06:50:20 pm »
Latest OEM Revision G should do the trick.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline moy24

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 07:19:28 pm »
I will be getting the car remaped in month or so will the standard diverter valve hold

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 07:27:52 pm »
Rev g oem is fine

Offline moy24

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 07:39:15 pm »
I'll use the ome one in that case. I don't no if my one is ok or if it is old version till I remove my old valve.I'll keep all updated. Also got a forge diverted valve adapter (blow off valve) got it cheap so will put it on see what I think.