Make a donation

Author Topic: Polish?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Polish?
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:12:39 pm »
If you do a decent job at compounding/correcting - do you really need to apply a polish? can you just apply a wax/sealant?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
Re: Polish?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:12:46 am »
Usually the act of using an aggressive compound or heavy cut polish will leave buffer trails due micro scratches/marring which need to be removed using a less aggressive polish. Something like Meg's M205 is a very good refining polish to finish off the polishing stage before applying protection such as a wax or sealant.

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:37:15 am »
You correct/ compound using a polish, a polish is whatever has cut in it to remove marks in the paint. If you're talking about refining then it's worth doing to achieve the best result and move smaller marks from the compounding stage like Chris said.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 05:55:21 pm »
It's kind of like doing something with wet and dry. Starting with a coarser compound then working up to a really light compound. Always get the best results that way. Also, a good refining compound often contains fillers, which a cutting compound won't.

Cut, refine, protect.