Make a donation

Author Topic: Cheapskate brake upgrade  (Read 5487 times)

Offline matty-boy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Cheapskate brake upgrade
« on: August 16, 2016, 07:39:04 pm »
Hi all,

I've got a standard mk5 GTI (not a ed30 or pirelli) running an rtech stage1 at about 250bhp.

I want to do some track days at maybe Castle Coombe or Donnington but I've heard the standard GTI brakes will be cooked within only a few laps so it's not worth it with the stock brake setup.

I'm running the standard GTI 17" wheels so I don't think any of the usual BBKs or NQSBBKs will fit under the rims.

Do you think upgrading the discs, pads and lines for braided would make enough of a difference to go ahead with?

I spoke to AKS earlier who suggested braided lines at £90, Mintex M1144 pads at £130, Vagbremtechnic grooved rotor kit at £215 and £120 of labour to fit it coming to £555 in total.

Would you say it's worth doing this (certainly as a stop gap) or should I just get some bigger wheels and get the proper NQSBBK?

The grand plan is to get an ed30 or pirelli and go probably stage 2+ which would certainly need some decent brakes but for a 250bhp stage 1? Some cheap upgrades enough?

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks very much,
Matt.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Cheapskate brake upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 07:44:59 pm »
The tried and tested R32/S3 setup sounds like what you need. Fit them with 340mm TTS discs, good fluid, and good pads. They fit under oem 17s.

Offline Rayhoop

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 01:27:54 pm »
Mintex M1144 pads at £130, Vagbremtechnic grooved rotor kit at £215 and £120 of labour to fit it coming to £555 in total.

Would you say it's worth doing this (certainly as a stop gap) or should I just get some bigger wheels and get the proper NQSBBK?

Hi Matt,

I run a standard Ed30 (230bhp) and am running OEM equivalent Brembo discs, Mintex M1144 pads and the important bit... fresh brake fluid - a full on flush through of all the lines and ABS/ESP system.  I'm running OEM equivalent brake fluid (ATE SL.6).  This is the correct viscosity for our ESP system and has boiling points not too far off from Super Blue/Type200.

I didnt have any trouble with this set up when pressing hard at Bedford Autodrome.  I was conscious to keep my braking short and hard, rather than long applications of the brakes - the longer your pad is in contact with the disc, the more time it has to pick up heat, which eventually ends up in the fluid.  I was surprised that I didnt manage to cook the brakes.  I've since done a track day at Brands Hatch too, same hardware but a quick bleed of the brakes before hand. 

The Mintex pads are good, and get better when really hot.

I would personally see how you get on with that set up, and just take some spare fluid with you to the track.  If you think you are cooking the fluid, flush it out over lunch and take it a touch easier.. and then plan the upgrade/spend.

My next upgrade is the Tyrolsport slider pins and brass bushings to improve pad contact (as currently can look uneven going by the heat rings on the disc).  I will see how I get on.  If I find I start cooking brakes, then I'll probably look at running some proper ducting before I go for bigger hardware.
Ed30 #1185

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:03:17 pm »
Get the braided lines and pads... maybe look at M1155.

I wouldnt bother with the fancy discs... waste of money.

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 08:56:32 am »
Where are you guys sourcing the M1144's from? Only place I can seem to find them is eBay!

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 09:51:30 am »

I wouldnt bother with the fancy discs... waste of money.

I read this and then look at the brakes in your signature photo.   :signLOL:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 12:56:39 pm »
 :signLOL:

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 03:39:09 pm »
How had nobody mentioned the brake fluid? No good having better pads and discs if your brake fluid boils easily!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |