Make a donation

Author Topic: Potentially looking for a mk7 R DSG - General questions and advice  (Read 3071 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Potentially looking for a mk7 R DSG - General questions and advice
« on: September 18, 2016, 11:24:48 pm »
So I've just agreed the sale and taken a deposit for my beloved MK5. A house purchase means it has to go (partly funds, partly I won't have space for a 3rd car).

But I'm feelings pretty pi**ed off about having to sell it so I'm already wondering what to get next (will probably have to wait 6 months or so but I may as well start researching now :) )

If I get one I'd probably aim to keep it relatively standard actually. I'd like the adaptive dampers and the 19" pretoria alloys but any other option must haves?

A VW tech I know says the turbo is manufactured by VW and is a weak point. Is there a history of these already going pop?

How tuneable is the engine with a stage 1 map?

Any other buying advice and general info appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nathan
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Potentially looking for a mk7 R DSG - General questions and advice
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:14:03 am »
I'm selling my 7R if you're interested in a blue one. :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131943437603

They're awesome cars!
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Potentially looking for a mk7 R DSG - General questions and advice
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 01:04:50 pm »
Good choice fella!

19s are a must, however I don't find the DCC worthwhile (personally), had it on my rocco and stopped using it after a few months.

Turbo is ONLY weak on the early cars, the later (2015 onwards) have a later revision which is much more reliable. TBH, there's hardly been that many cases of failure on the R-OC forum.

Your best doing stage 1 + an intake pipe (airbox to turbo). this combination gives around 375bhp. You need a DSG remap with stage 1 as you can get clutch slip without - 400lbft of torque is the root cause :grin:

Downpipe & stage 2 map is around 385-390bhp, then an intercooler to see you over the 400bhp mark  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »
Good choice fella!

19s are a must, however I don't find the DCC worthwhile (personally), had it on my rocco and stopped using it after a few months.

Turbo is ONLY weak on the early cars, the later (2015 onwards) have a later revision which is much more reliable. TBH, there's hardly been that many cases of failure on the R-OC forum.

Your best doing stage 1 + an intake pipe (airbox to turbo). this combination gives around 375bhp. You need a DSG remap with stage 1 as you can get clutch slip without - 400lbft of torque is the root cause :grin:

Downpipe & stage 2 map is around 385-390bhp, then an intercooler to see you over the 400bhp mark  :happy2:

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately this would be a car for me and the mrs to share (buying a house without a garage so no room for my own car for a few years it seems) so the idea would be to keep it relatively standard looking but I'm not sure I can resist playing a little bit :)

I was only looking at the DCC option after watching Chris Harris' review (vs the M235i) where he praised it as being super comfortable and then sporty enough to work well on UK B roads as well.

Would the DCC cause issues down the line though IF I get all excited and decide to lower it etc?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 09:43:33 pm »
No probs  :happy2:

Lots of guys lowered on springs with DCC without any problems. Eibach seem to be the best springs for these at the moment
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr