Make a donation

Author Topic: Mirror Glass  (Read 2998 times)

cameluk

Mirror Glass
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:02:07 pm »
I'm in the process of replacing my standard mirrors with a set that fold and have the puddle lights

One of the secondhand complete assemblies has different glass than normal, it has a band around the edge, as marked on the photo. I'm guessing that its one of the very rare and expensive auto dazzle versions, can anyone confirm my thoughts?

If it is an auto dazzle version I'm not about to replace the glass, as ETKA lists it at £280  :surprised:, No doubt when I remove the glass to fit my cover it will break on me

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Mirror Glass
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:03:43 pm »
Yes that the auto dazzle version, I have these on the otherhalfs A3  :happy2:

cameluk

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:24:02 pm »
Thanks

Now I have to decide if I'd be happy with one anti dazzle mirror, or disable the function  :scared:

If I break the glass, then the decision will be made for me

Nasir

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:28 pm »
Why is only one anti-dazzle?

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:46:51 pm »

I never got that either but on my first GTI (Lux pack 2 installed) VW only fitted the anti-dazzle mirror on the Drivers side. I did query it at the time with VW and was told that was correct!  :confused:

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:28:58 am »
I'm in the process of replacing my standard mirrors with a set that fold and have the puddle lights

One of the secondhand complete assemblies has different glass than normal, it has a band around the edge, as marked on the photo. I'm guessing that its one of the very rare and expensive auto dazzle versions, can anyone confirm my thoughts?

If it is an auto dazzle version I'm not about to replace the glass, as ETKA lists it at £280  :surprised:, No doubt when I remove the glass to fit my cover it will break on me

These are the same mirrors iv'e got too barry,i noticed the auto dazzle when i first put them on the car but to be honest i don't really notice it now :confused:
cant believe that price though £280 :surprised: :surprised: thats just madness

scott

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 10:41:31 am »

Posh Golf's come with both sides  :P
I never got that either but on my first GTI (Lux pack 2 installed) VW only fitted the anti-dazzle mirror on the Drivers side. I did query it at the time with VW and was told that was correct!  :confused:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:03:09 am »
Thanks

Now I have to decide if I'd be happy with one anti dazzle mirror, or disable the function  :scared:

If I break the glass, then the decision will be made for me
It's actually quite difficult to break the glass when taking them out. You have to be seriously cack-handed to do it!

I've taken mine out a few times without any issues and found it very easy to do. Just go slow and be careful

cameluk

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 11:22:05 am »
I've checked the wiring in Elsawin, and only the Drivers mirror has the anti dazzle, it doesn't matter if its LHD or RHD, you only get Anti Dazzle on the Drivers

cameluk

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 11:29:16 am »

These are the same mirrors iv'e got too barry,i noticed the auto dazzle when i first put them on the car but to be honest i don't really notice it now :confused:
cant believe that price though £280 :surprised: :surprised: thats just madness

scott

Scott don't suppose you know if you needed to run extra wiring from the interior mirror to the drivers door for the anti dazzle function to work as Elsawin says the wiring is only fitted for anti dazzle/auto dimming

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 12:13:05 pm »

Scott don't suppose you know if you needed to run extra wiring from the interior mirror to the drivers door for the anti dazzle function to work as Elsawin says the wiring is only fitted for anti dazzle/auto dimming
[/quote]

No i never had to run any extra wiring from the interior mirror barry,the door mirror had an extra wiring loom which wasnt connected when i took the mirror out when i first put the mirrors on the car which obviously was for the auto dazzle function :surprised:
so who ever had these mirrors on there car before me obviously didnt have this function as it wasnt connected :stupid: :stupid:

scott

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

cameluk

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 01:13:49 pm »
Thanks Scott

Will wait and see if the wiring is there when I fit mine  :drinking: