Make a donation

Author Topic: Service already?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Service already?
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:56:45 pm »
57-plate bought second hand with, ~3000mi on clock,  from dealer via the VW database.
Owned for five months, with just over 7k on clock now.

Got into the car just now to fill up with petrol and got the "service! within 20 days" up on the midline display.

When I went to the dealers a month back to get some fluids, I asked them about the service and they stated it was on Longlife service and wouldn't need to be serviced for another year. I asked them about changing it to T&D and they said to bring it in in Jan and they'd service it and change over to T&D using LL oil.

So if the car was on LL and was supposed to be serviced Jan 2010, how come it tells me it needs servicing now?

I wonder whether it had somehow been changed to T&D at some point. Any idea on what the T&D servicing intervals are?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:36:36 pm by stealthwolf »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Service already?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:59:26 pm »
The car is set on the longer one but that doesn't mean it will last that long the car decides on the time of service when on the longlife plan. I have heard of cars needing it after 9000 miles.  :chicken:

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:02:07 pm »
My Ed30 is also on LL and is due in 2700 miles according to the onboard computer. March 2008 car with 11.5k on the clock.

So your car tallies up as I see it.

The car senses how it is driven, condition of oil etc. So if lots of small short journeys then I guess it needs servicing more often.
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 10:14:31 pm »
Senses? I'm suddenly reminded of this quote:

It's not just a machine. It's very much a living thing.

Car is a daily driver so lots of short journeys plus some very long ones almost monthly.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:09:56 pm »
i am due my third service now it says 800 miles left  :signLOL: and its a 57 plate  :driver: mine gets used  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:44:06 pm »
Bumpity. Car rocketed from 200 miles left to "Service NOW!".

How quickly must I get it serviced? It's about the right time for T&D servicing but it's a bit difficult with exams at the mo.

How much leeway do I have? Could I get it serviced in Feb?

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:53:56 pm »
i have heard of LL cars needing servicing after 7000 miles, the car could have been driven quite quickly before you got it  :evilgrin: , or your driving style and conditions now means it needs servicing more often, mine was on LL by accident but i put it on t&d myself, tbh its was going to be cheaper on t&d, if i was you i would take it to the dealer for the t&d and leave it on t&d, the first service was only £100, your first LL will be alot more

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:54:44 pm »
Bumpity. Car rocketed from 200 miles left to "Service NOW!".

How quickly must I get it serviced? It's about the right time for T&D servicing but it's a bit difficult with exams at the mo.

How much leeway do I have? Could I get it serviced in Feb?

I could be wrong but I believe the requirement is within 30 days or 1000 miles of the warning "service now" to preserve the warranty status.

IMHO I would just get it done ASAP  :happy2:

Offline JonnyG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Golf R
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 08:01:46 pm »
As the last two posts say, I'd swithch to T&D and get it in for a first service asap  :happy2:

VW UK keep a record of servicing and can play "mean" later on with warranty issues if you are late with any of your servicing. 
Golf R, 5dr, DSG, March 2010, Rising Blue, 19" Talladegas, Cruise

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 08:44:19 pm »
My service warning came on around 9300miles. When i bought the car i paid for the service pack. Booked the car in and took it down to service and the dealer said the service pack hadnt been put on :fighting:. I went mad and spoke to the salesman who sold the car to me and rminded him that was part of the deal and he sorted it all out for me. Trouble is i have just gone over 1k miles after the service light came on as it has taken 2 weeks for them to sort it and reschedule my appoinment.
Car is i tommorow so i want omething in writing that the car shouldnt have any warranty problems due to it being their fault.

Ps. My car is running LL oil

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch