Make a donation

Author Topic: tte420 or lo400 or mdx507 or TurboZentrum EFR6758 or something else??  (Read 19612 times)

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 54
Re: tte420 or lo400 or mdx507 or TurboZentrum EFR6758 or something else??
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2016, 10:19:13 pm »
the likes of Loba or APR, but those pumps were an unknown quantity themselves at one point. I think the thing with internals is making sure the installation into a pump is done well.

Good luck!

Exactly! That's what I'm hoping. My buddy and I are gonna try and set up a mini "clean room " environment for the install. So hopefully that'll help :smiley:

I've contacted the dyno owner and he's also curious to know the difference. I'm also going to add a VWR intake but preferably just after doing a couple of runs with the booster to see what I get with the current VWR/ITG panel filter. :smiley:

Brilliant Shoduchi. Keep us posted buddy :happy2:

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2016, 10:36:02 am »
I know its in the link on the other page but this may help answer some question until we get another thread opened up for the octane booster specifically...

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I use an octane booster?
Using an Octane Booster increases the octane of the fuel. Higher octane fuel protects the motor by reducing pre-ignition, detonation and pinging. using NF Octane Boosters results in a smoother running engine, increased fuel economy, better power and performance and reduced carbon build up.

Running higher octane allows the vehicle timing to be advanced and turbo boost pressure to be increased, resulting in better power and efficiency. In modern vehicles the ECU will detect the better fuel and make adjustments itself, other vehicles can be tuned on a dyno to take advantage of the better fuel. In fact, even modern vehicles can benefit hugely by tuning for the better fuel.

How do I use NF Octane Booster?
NF Octane Booster is best added to your petrol tank, at the filling station, before you fill up with petrol. Pour the NF into your petrol tank and then fill up to ensuring a good mix. Because NF is a liquid, it mixes with the fuel immediately.

Can I add NF Octane Booster to any fuel?
NF Octane Booster is good for use in any petrol vehicle and is compatible with unleaded, LRP(Lead Replacement Petrol) and leaded petrol. NF recommends using the highest available octane pump fuel to give the best gains.

NF Octane Booster or race fuel?
Commercial race fuels tend to be very expensive and hard to find. Using NF Octane Boosters can give you higher octane and better performance than some race fuels with the added convenience that comes with only having to transport a few small, non-flammable bottles. Also, laws often prohibit transporting more than a few litres of fuel in your vehicle, meaning that carrying tins of 20 litres or more is illegal. Also, race fuels do not carry road tax as pump fuels do, which makes using race fuel in street vehicles illegal.

How much octane do I need?
You should run high enough octane to eliminate any detonation in your engine. If the octane level is too high for your vehicle, the fuel will burn too slowly and your car will start to lose performance. Running the correct octane will have your engine running at it's most efficient, delivering the best power.

Will octane booster damage my engine?
No, higher octane fuel protects an engine from detonation(knocking/pinging), thereby extending the life of the engine.

What is detonation / knocking / pinging / pre-ignition?
Due to high temperatures and compression, petrol can ignite before the spark plug is fired. This occurs while the piston is still moving upward and is the equivalent of hitting the piston crown with a large hammer. Every time a vehicle knocks, damage is done to the piston and it is only a matter of time till the piston fails. The higher the octane of the petrol, the higher its resistance to knock.

My spark plugs have gone a rusty/orange colour. Is this normal?
Yes, just as unleaded fuel leaves black deposits on spark plugs and leaded fuel leaves white deposits, NF treated fuel leaves a rusty coloured deposit.

Will NF Octane Booster foul my spark plugs?
NF Octane Boosters will not foul spark plugs if the dosage instructions are followed. If the fuel is overdosed, spark plug fouling may occur. This is picked up as a misfire which is caused by excessive deposits on the spark plugs. The spark plugs can simply be replaced or cleaned with emery paper.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 673
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2016, 11:26:50 am »
My spark plugs have gone a rusty/orange colour. Is this normal?
Yes, just as unleaded fuel leaves black deposits on spark plugs and leaded fuel leaves white deposits, NF treated fuel leaves a rusty coloured deposit.

Yeah I had that on my VR6 years ago when I used octane boosters.  The piston crowns were orange as well!  It's the same colour as rusty water that comes out an engine when someone hasn't used proper coolant, so is quite alarming when you first see it!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2016, 03:36:56 pm »
Have seen this orange color on the turbine wheel of K04 removed from a car running NF booster. As pudding says - initially you get a fright but it's a normal thing to see with Octane booster :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 04:41:22 pm »
So it sounds like there can indeed be a case of running too high an octane. I'd guess you guys in Ireland shouldn't have too much to worry about if you're starting with 95. But would a car on 99 with an extra 6 be too much?

Again, I think this is a question for the tuners. Would 105 fuel on a 99 map be too much of a slow burn, and if so, can they create a 105 map with mad timing? Or do we reach a point well before 105 where the plugs start to foul, regardless of whether the timing is mapped to accommodate 105 fuel? Then are we looking at different plugs (colder?) that would work well at 105 but would be too cold for a 99 map setting (if you had to switch to that if you ran out of NF).

Lots of questions. But all interesting stuff.

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 05:20:40 pm »
I'll deffo ask my tuner about a 105 map :happy2:

Hopefully we can collate a bit of decent data on this product. Then we can create a separate thread and maybe get Alex and Niki and other Yoda like individuals to give their thoughts :happy2: 

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 05:45:31 pm »
I'll deffo ask my tuner about a 105 map :happy2:

Hopefully we can collate a bit of decent data on this product. Then we can create a separate thread and maybe get Alex and Niki and other Yoda like individuals to give their thoughts :happy2:
Bring it on!

Offline Erno

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2016, 02:28:54 pm »
Thanks guys but I think that octane booster doesn't help with broken turbo.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2016, 04:15:52 pm »
Love it, go guys  :happy2:

I just wish E85 was freely available.  We'd need bigger flowing injectors and probably more pump flow, but reducing cylinder temps would yield some very tasty results indeed.  You could probably even up the compression one point and keep the stock timing at well over 1.4 bar, and not bother with bigger ICs either, so keeping lag in check  :laugh:

But this is the UK, a country where even decent broadband speeds seems to be an impossible task.  My mate in Hong Kong as 1000Mbs to his door ffs!!

Anyway, let's bring the experimenting on!

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2016, 05:15:15 pm »
Thanks guys but I think that octane booster doesn't help with broken turbo.

Yes Erno.... Sorry about that.... Totally hijacked your thread :ashamed:
Sorry about that :smiley:
At least when you do decide on one of the excellent turbos on your shortlist you'll hopefully be able to maximize its output with some booster :rolleye:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2016, 11:00:50 am »
Erm yeah, probably my fault it got derailed.   Buy a TTE420 mate  :happy2:

Perhaps we need to create seperate threads for the octane boosting etc!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2016, 12:02:15 pm »

Done! :happy2:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110079.msg1064200.html

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2016, 08:29:48 pm »

Done! :happy2:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110079.msg1064200.html

Well done Shoduchi :happy2:

Buy a TTE420 mate  :happy2:

@Erno - I think this is the best advice. I would be going TTE420 all day long if I was upgrading my turbo  :happy2: