Make a donation

Author Topic: How much louder does the pre-cat delete make a standard car?  (Read 8415 times)

Offline spwd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
  • Hello I'm Steve.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110133.msg1073872.html#new
Re: How much louder does the pre-cat delete make a standard car?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 02:31:46 pm »
 :happy2: :happy2:

Offline Level 7 boss

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:01 pm »
I now have bonelorry's Ed 30. It's not loud at all. Get it done, my friend.

Offline spwd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 16
  • Hello I'm Steve.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110133.msg1073872.html#new
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:38 pm »
I now have bonelorry's Ed 30. It's not loud at all. Get it done, my friend.

Will do as soon as I can get a piece of pipe to delete my resonator then I'll ha e my dv replaced and my lowering springs and the pre-cat delete done at the same time :happy2:

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 11:11:20 pm »
Hi SPWD- I ummed and arred about this too but had it done in the end and all I can see are gains not negatives. Unknowingly I had a cheap after market DP on mine when it went to R-tech for a stage 1 and it hindered the power  before and after the re-map. Since then I had the cam chain tensioner done, pick up pipe service, sump off and cleaned, millers nanodrive oil and while they were at it, got AKS to fit an oem DP with the pre cat deleted. All of these things have really sorted the old girl out and I can feel a real difference now. The car used to lurch a bit on pull away but that is now remedied and when you give it the beans the car is more responsive. It isn't really any louder as such but you get a nice burble if you blip the throttle. I'd get it done mate! Cheers, Ollie.
Was the cheap DP a de cat or a sports cat?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 10:18:02 am »
I've been doing some back to back comparisons of standard downpipe, standard downpipe with pre cat removed and an aftermarket 3" DP with sport cat (APR).

I would say don't waste your time with decatting the OEM pipe and go straight to an aftermarket 3 incher.   The difference between decatted and catted OEM is so tiny, it's not worth effort imo.

The problem with the OEM pipe isn't so much the pre-cat, but rather the 2.5" bore and the horrific bottle neck where it's crimped to clear the gearbox.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D