Make a donation

Author Topic: Who's got an AMD remap???  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Lovegroover

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Who's got an AMD remap???
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:44:46 pm »
As title really i'm looking at all the different remap options and am leaning toward an AMD Map for several reasons (Essex).
-They're relatively near-by for me.
-Their claimed figures are impressive vs cost. (65 Bhp & 70-80 Ft/Lb for £435)
-I've used their products on my S3 and found them to be a good company to deal with.
-I'm not overly bothered about a switchable option - Although i can see the advantages.......

So who's got one on a MkV GTi, is it any good (i.e nice and smooth) and what figures did you get?

Cheers in advance  :drinking:
Car = 3dr K03 Gti - Shadow Blue Metallic - Monza II's - Cream Heated leather, Sat Nav, BSH True Seal, AmD Remap.
Bike = Honda CBR600FX Superlight

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
Re: Who's got an AMD remap???
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:06:07 pm »
AMD put the REVO map on my S3, I also use them for servicing.  I can't really comment on the AMD map however I can say that they really know their way around these engines and provide an excellent service.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:54:55 pm »
I had an AMD remap on my (8L) S3 and it was massively smoother than the Revo map it replaced. The service from AMD was great and the price wasn't too bad either. I would certainly recommend it to anyone with a 1.8T. Sorry I can't comment on the 2.0T though.

Offline Lovegroover

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 07:58:52 am »
Obviously not popular here then on the  TFSi  :confused:
Car = 3dr K03 Gti - Shadow Blue Metallic - Monza II's - Cream Heated leather, Sat Nav, BSH True Seal, AmD Remap.
Bike = Honda CBR600FX Superlight

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:01:55 am »
fraid not, but doesnt stop you trying out the map  :happy2:
can you get a trial ?
If you are happy with previous service then go for it  :happy2:

most here seem to run REVO , Superchips, APR, GIAC or CustomCode FWIW with each person having their own reasons
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:09:54 am »
Hi Lovegroover - I'm loving your forum name  :happy2: 8) :happy2: Very cooool.

AmD used to be considered Numero Uno amongst tuners but personnel changed (the boss emigrated IIRC) and it went downhill and gathered a poor reputation. The best guys who remained later went off and started APS.

Meanwhile, AmD has actively done a lot to regain a good reputation and have recently gained support from Milltek. AmD will be running a Mk5 GTI in this season's BTTC, so they should know what they're doing!

Personally I don't have any direct experience of AmD except from in the old days.

Hope This Helps  :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:17:05 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:46:24 am »
i have driven shauns vRS which has the stage 2 k03 map on there(he says 277hp, i say extremely optimistic, 250-260 realisticly). at the time i had bluefin stage 2(they were installing my HPFP at the time) it wasnt as pokey as the bluefin low down but better up the top, which to be honest wasnt an issue when you see how it was running

i have driven REVO stage 2 K03 TFSIs and shark performance stage 2 vRS and they are both more pokey along the entire rev range than both the bluefin and AMD map. but most noticably is the torque improvment low down

on a side note though, im not sure what supporting mods he had on the AMD car other than the miltek TBE.

how much is the amd map in comparison to revo. they do both there.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 10:39:54 am »
You also wont see 65bhp with just a Remap i don't care what anybody says. I've seen hundreds of RR sessions with stage 1 k03 & K04 cars and no-one has ever gotten that power from just a remap alone.

REVO,APR,Shark etc seem to be the preferred options.

Carl :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 04:35:29 pm »
You also wont see 65bhp with just a Remap i don't care what anybody says. I've seen hundreds of RR sessions with stage 1 k03 & K04 cars and no-one has ever gotten that power from just a remap alone.

REVO,APR,Shark etc seem to be the preferred options.

Do you mean specifically the KO3 and KO4 cars or any car wont see a 65bhp increase? I am currently thinking of getting a 1.4 tsi 140 bhp. REVO states they remap to 205 bhp (stage 1). Is that possible or not then?

Ollie :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 06:42:50 pm »
Not with JUST a remap it isn't.

Think about it thats almost a 50% increase in power. It just isn't going to happen. You will get the torque figure (or thereabouts) but you will not get 65bhp from just a software upgrade.

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 06:54:18 pm »
Not with JUST a remap it isn't.

Think about it thats almost a 50% increase in power. It just isn't going to happen. You will get the torque figure (or thereabouts) but you will not get 65bhp from just a software upgrade.

What is revo bending the truth then? Is stage one with just a remap and 2 with bolt ons such as intake, ic, exhasut etc?
How can they publish that if it is not true?
 :happy2:

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 07:04:39 pm »
i went from 224bhp standard to 301bhp from stage 1 on dyno dynamics rollers so i think its possible  :happy2:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 07:07:44 pm »
and yes i think AMD rollers must be quiet optimistic seeings a stage 1 GTI managed 273bhp in december at the R32 meet...

http://www.r32oc.com/meets-event-pics/18153-r32oc-amd-rolling-road-day-13-12-09-mattchaps-4.html
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »
Im not saying they are bending the truth. They would probably be able to produce some data to show a car achieved those figures with just the software. They only need 1 to have done it to legally be able to say it's possible.

I have spent (like others on here and some a lot more than me) a considerable amount tuning the 2.0TFSi

I have seen hundreds of cars with different maps go on RR and none have ever made the stated power claim with just a map.

For example when i went REVO stage 1 i was using 100 octane fuel as i lived in Germany and i made 237.3bhp and 278lb/ft

REVO quote 255bhp & 285lb/ft. There was nothing wrong with the car, it was brand new with only 5k miles on the clock as i put 5k miles on it to make sure no build issues etc. I never got anywhere near 255bhp until i did the following

REVO Stage 2
EVOMS
Neuspeed Turbo Outlet Pipe
S3 Intercooler
Autotech HPFP
Relocated DV to K04 position.
Miltek CBE

I then got 257bhp and 302lb/ft.

I have seen one car get 266bhp and 310lb/ft on stage one but that had the same mods i have just listed (as i bought most of them off him when he sold it  :laugh:) and quite aggressive settings.

You generally get the torque but i have never seen a car get the BHP from JUST a remap.

Carl

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 07:09:53 pm »
i went from 224bhp standard to 301bhp from stage 1 on dyno dynamics rollers so i think its possible  :happy2:

Is that with JUST a map or have you got other mods aswell?