Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheel alignment question  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Wheel alignment question
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:18:16 pm »
Hi all,

My car needs its tracking sorting ASAP. I am looking to get it done but need to know a few things:

1. Does the MK5 GTI need Camber arms/bolts etc to adjust camber when lowered?
2. Is there anything else needed on a lowered MK5 GTI to fully align all 4 wheels?

My first car (a 2004 Honda civic) was lowered and needed front camber bolts and rear camber arms to adjust the camber. This was due to the fact the shocks were height dependant, meaning lowering them affected the camber.

Please advise ASAP as I need to get the tracking done!

Thanks all :)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9j1o20r9557uuinq72upd9f6b6&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Wheel alignment question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 07:32:55 pm »
The camber is only adjustable on the rear.

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:51:08 pm »
It's the rears that are eating tyres so that's good to know.

So to adjust the front I assume I would need camber bolts?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9j1o20r9557uuinq72upd9f6b6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:57:31 pm »
Either adjustable ball joints, or adjustable top mounts

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 10:12:55 pm »
Just seen your build thread. If you're buying coilovers soon you can get some for the mk5 that come with adjustable top mounts. BC Racing / Relentless being one of the more affordable options. Not sure on quality or ride, but they seem to get decent feedback. Superpro do the ball joints.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to achieve though. You can run it low (not slammed) without having to go beyond factory geo limits. So you don't really need the adjustable tops or ball joints unless you're specifically trying to achieve geo outside factory limits... for whatever reason: Track, show, something else? So help us out, what is it you're trying to achieve?

Find somewhere with a Hunter setup anyway. And preferably somewhere with a good rep - the operator is as important as the kit.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the BC etc coilies with adjustable top mounts allow camber adjustment on the front. If you need it. Rear, as Rich says, is factory adjustable.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:18:29 pm by AJP »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 10:41:29 pm »
Ground control top mounts fit kw and bilstein coilovers too, for plenty of adjustment

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:56:52 am »
Thanks all for the feedback!

Just seen your build thread. If you're buying coilovers soon you can get some for the mk5 that come with adjustable top mounts. BC Racing / Relentless being one of the more affordable options. Not sure on quality or ride, but they seem to get decent feedback. Superpro do the ball joints.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to achieve though. You can run it low (not slammed) without having to go beyond factory geo limits. So you don't really need the adjustable tops or ball joints unless you're specifically trying to achieve geo outside factory limits... for whatever reason: Track, show, something else? So help us out, what is it you're trying to achieve?

Find somewhere with a Hunter setup anyway. And preferably somewhere with a good rep - the operator is as important as the kit.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the BC etc coilies with adjustable top mounts allow camber adjustment on the front. If you need it. Rear, as Rich says, is factory adjustable.

I am just trying to achieve factory tracking or maybe FRSU if possible. I will be going to A-Line in Dudley, they have a hug rep across the West Mids.

I only ask as I don't want to show up there and waste a day to find out they can't adjust half the settings.

I will likely be going with either a good spring and shock kit or a mid-range set of coil overs. Ideally want to spend no more than £600 on parts.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 02:41:09 pm »
Thanks all for the feedback!

I am just trying to achieve factory tracking or maybe FRSU if possible. I will be going to A-Line in Dudley, they have a hug rep across the West Mids.

I only ask as I don't want to show up there and waste a day to find out they can't adjust half the settings.

I will likely be going with either a good spring and shock kit or a mid-range set of coil overs. Ideally want to spend no more than £600 on parts.
They might have to get a bit of heat on some of the bolts to set the geometry if it's not been done for a while. But as long as you're not going silly-low you'll be able to get it aligned with the factory setup. Shouldn't be any issues.

I had mine done after I had H&R springs fitted about 18 months ago. All went fine. They drop by about 30mm. I've just ordered some Vogtland coilovers to go a little bit lower. They use KW dampers and Koni use Vogtland springs in some applications, so it sounded like a decent setup for the money (489 delivered from DPM).

They're not stainless, but the jump to the likes of KW V1 is a fair few quid, even with the usual KW sale coming up over the next month or so. ST (made by KW) aren't stainless either, but seem to be a bit pricey too, for what they are. So I've taken a punt on the Vogtlands.

Anyway (I'm rambling on a bit..) I thought it was worth mentioning the coilies as they'd come in on budget for you with new OEM topmounts and strut bearings (recommend when fitting new dampers/coilies).

And my H&R springs will soon be available, if you decide to go for a shock and spring setup. The VWR dampers or Bilstein B8 are a good choice if that's the case, and work well with H&R or Eibach springs.

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 08:36:29 am »
Thanks for the reply AJP, the coilies might be a good option.

The reason I asked this question is because the tracking is so out of wack it is eating tyres as seen below. The worst offender is so cambered it looks stanced  :thinking: