Make a donation

Author Topic: Spring suggestions  (Read 4709 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Spring suggestions
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 05:52:58 pm »
One of the many joys of living in London mate.  :signLOL:
sadly and the other one is stupid idiots jamming firework in between my tyre and rim and letting it off  :fighting2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 05:55:40 pm »
I've just fitted VWR springs with OEM dampers and I don't think it's dropped anywhere near 30 - 35mm. I'd say its more like 15 - 20mm at most.
what are they like ride wise @Octoparrot and what did they cost you total

I would say the ride feels firm and well damped without being harsh, crashy or jarring and body roll seems significantly reduced though how much is the springs and how much the new dampers I don't know. I personally wouldn't want any thing stiffer as  my commute is mainly B-roads. I'm really pleased with the choice I made.
i have found my H&R roll bars have stiffened up the ride for me more than enough but just wanted to go a little lower on the stance but looking at the prices of the springs it's looking grim  :sad1: don't want to fit the 25-30 H&R on as that's way too much  :doh:

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:39 pm »
As for cost, the springs were £210 from awesome, the dampers, top mounts, bearings, bump stops and all the nuts and bolts were around £600 with a discount from my local VW dealer.

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 09:27:51 pm »
Tbh mate I don't no I'm sure I read there made by eibach.
I might of read about them on an American forum.
Only other spring I can find that lowers by 20mm f&r is the st spring made by kw.
Can not find any reviews on these tho.

Chris was running the -20mm ST springs, he will give you the heads up.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110657.0.html

There's a guy on the edition30 Facebook group who fitted 30mm st springs, I can't seem to find the post, but from I remember he was making reference to the car not being level on the 30mm springs, not sure if this also applies to the 20mm springs.
Black Ed30

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 10:27:13 pm »
As for cost, the springs were £210 from awesome, the dampers, top mounts, bearings, bump stops and all the nuts and bolts were around £600 with a discount from my local VW dealer.
for someone who's skint now it's a difficult decision  :signLOL:

I'd have to sell my set and add another £4-500 for another set  :doh:

Thanks for sharing though @Octoparrot

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 10:35:13 pm »
No problem, I was surprised how much it all came to but I only wanted to do the job once and as the car is 11 years old and had done 124k I thought it was the right decision to renew all the bits and I still think it was. The only things I didn't really need to change would probably be the rear top mounts and the bump stops but now it's all done and I don't have to worry come MOT time.  :smiley:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 10:47:52 pm »
Yeah did that to my last car as I'm so ocd when it comes to suspension parts and would want it all done in one go rather than messing about every other month.
I literally did everything including polybushing the whole front and rear wishbones trailing arms and forge tie bars but this time it's a little more difficult having my wife and sons to consider but I'll get there in the end  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 10:39:07 am »
I've just fitted VWR springs with OEM dampers and I don't think it's dropped anywhere near 30 - 35mm. I'd say its more like 15 - 20mm at most.

I would say the ride feels firm and well damped without being harsh, crashy or jarring and body roll seems significantly reduced though how much is the springs and how much the new dampers I don't know. I personally wouldn't want any thing stiffer as  my commute is mainly B-roads. I'm really pleased with the choice I made.

That's good to know.  My first plan was to do what you've done.  VWR springs with new OEM Sachs dampers, but then I decided to go with the whole kit.  The VWR rides better than OEM in the primary ride, this is mainly down to VWR backing off the low speed compression valve in the dampers.  That is pretty stiff on the OEM dampers, which gives a good brake pedal and initial turn-in.   The VWR being softer here doesn't feel quite as responsive and 'chuckable' as the OEM setup on initial inputs, which is a bit disappointing.   But I can live with it as the ride quality is way less crashy than OEM in general.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: MY2008 Mk5 Manual 5dr GTI Tornado Red
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 01:58:57 am »
......  The VWR rides better than OEM in the primary ride, this is mainly down to VWR backing off the low speed compression valve in the dampers.  That is pretty stiff on the OEM dampers, which gives a good brake pedal and initial turn-in.   The VWR being softer here doesn't feel quite as responsive and 'chuckable' as the OEM setup on initial inputs, which is a bit disappointing.   But I can live with it as the ride quality is way less crashy than OEM in general.

If I read this correctly, the VWR kit does away with the stiff, jiggly ride of the OEM set-up?

Sometimes I swear my car has square wheels such is the sharp jiggling at both town and highway speeds.