Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 2+ on Friday  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Stage 2+ on Friday
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:27:48 am »
Good Morning!

My DSG edition 30 is going stage 2+ on Friday and just wondering what sort of figures i'd be looking at.

Following mods are:
BCS powervalve turbo back
Revo induction kit
Loba HPFP
RS4 fuel return valve
S3 intercooler

Im guessing it'll be the S3 cooler that could hold the figures back?

Cheers,

Luke

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Stage 2+ on Friday
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:44 am »
Up to 370 BHP, I guess. The IC seems to be the limiting factor of your setup, yes.

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:56:04 am »
Up to 370 BHP, I guess. The IC seems to be the limiting factor of your setup, yes.
Ok cheers.

Also getting DSG remap, will this make any difference?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:09:20 am »
Only in a cramped dyno cell will an intercooler show a weakness.  On the open road with tons more airflow and plenty of heatsoak recovery time, it'll be fine.

The measured power is only for that particular set of conditions - I.e. a little room with only a fan for airflow.   Out on the road, things are very different.  More airflow and lower ambient temps.

Don't blindly follow the herd and bolt things on for the sake of it.  Get confirmation the S3 cooler is restrictive from proper testing first.  Stage 2+ turbo speeds kind of super heat the intercoolers anyway.   You'd be better off running a bigger turbo to make the same power from more cfm and less pressure, and therefore less heat.

Good luck for Friday  :happy2:   I'd be happy with anything over 350hp on these old engines and turbos  :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:11:24 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 11:45:59 am »
Only in a cramped dyno cell will an intercooler show a weakness.  On the open road with tons more airflow and plenty of heatsoak recovery time, it'll be fine.

The measured power is only for that particular set of conditions - I.e. a little room with only a fan for airflow.   Out on the road, things are very different.  More airflow and lower ambient temps.

Don't blindly follow the herd and bolt things on for the sake of it.  Get confirmation the S3 cooler is restrictive from proper testing first.  Stage 2+ turbo speeds kind of super heat the intercoolers anyway.   You'd be better off running a bigger turbo to make the same power from more cfm and less pressure, and therefore less heat.

Good luck for Friday  :happy2:   I'd be happy with anything over 350hp on these old engines and turbos  :smiley:
Thanks for the reply.

So what your saying is what power it makes on the dyno could be less than what it could put out on the open road?

Thanks i'm hoping this alongside the DSG remap should transform the car !

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:54:56 am »
Ok cheers.

The DSG remap is mandatory for stage 2+ on an Ed. 30. It will allow your engine to make what it can really do, since the box torque limiters will be altered. :wink:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 11:58:35 am »

Thanks for the reply.

So what your saying is what power it makes on the dyno could be less than what it could put out on the open road?

Thanks i'm hoping this alongside the DSG remap should transform the car !

pretty much. A dyno is an idication of what pwoer the car makes on the day. when you drive ont he road it could be making a bit more power due to cooler airflow which you wouldnt get on a hot room in a dyno.

Just enjoy it anyway. You'll be grinning for ages!

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 11:59:40 am »
DSG map increases the torque limit, shifts higher and quicker. also stays in gear. can disable the kick down feature too

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 12:02:08 pm »
Ok cheers.

The DSG remap is mandatory for stage 2+ on an Ed. 30. It will allow your engine to make what it can really do, since the box torque limiters will be altered. :wink:
What do you mean mate? When I first rang to book stage 2+ they didn't mention about me needed DSG map i just decided myself to get it a month later.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 12:04:44 pm »
the stock DSG map has a limit which will be exceeded by a stage 2 map.

Bascially if you dont get a DSG map it will limit power output

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 12:05:06 pm »
Its not mandatory, just strongly advised to get the most out of the gearbox.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 12:14:11 pm »
Its not mandatory, just strongly advised to get the most out of the gearbox.

From what I read previously, and from my personal experience, the box needs to be remapped to allow the engine to make the requested torque figures from a stage 2/2+ remap. But that's just torque limiters. The box can also be remapped to make more clamping pressure, faster shifts, deactivate kick-down on Manual mode, deactivate auto up-shifts when the engine reaches the limiter, higher rpm limiter (from 6500 rpm to 7000 rpm, for example), etc. :smiley:

Maybe the other bits of the remap are only done if you pay extra. I like the extra bits. :grin:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 12:29:49 pm »
I think we could summarise it as - you'd be silly not to

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 12:31:40 pm »
Haha ok so by having the DSG map will allow for more power?

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 12:42:52 pm »
Er...yeah. Having the DSG map will alllow for more useable power fun.