Make a donation

Author Topic: Bilstein B12 Kit  (Read 2451 times)

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Bilstein B12 Kit
« on: May 22, 2017, 03:24:48 pm »
I have been looking into options for suspension and have come across the Bilstein B12 Pro or Sportsline Kit (B8 shocks with either eibach Pro or Sportline springs).
I am looking for any reviews of people running either of these setups. Would Pro be enough of a drop on 18" Monzas or should i go for Sportsline? The car is a daily so don't want it too low and scrubbing.

I have seen the VWR kit and H&R springs. But with the car with 123k miles I would like to replace the shocks at the same time as they are probably tired by now.

Thanks in advance.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
Re: Bilstein B12 Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:43:36 pm »
I have the VWR kit as I wanted compliance and a minimal drop. 

I've had B12s/B8s/B6s on other VWs and find them too harsh in the primary ride, but are excellent for consistency and reassuring at high speeds.

Perhaps combine the B8 dampers with VWR springs?

One thing I have found with the VWR kit is, despite being only -15mm, it's propensity to 'bottom out' with a couple of passengers on medium sized bumps is becoming annoying.  I'm not talking rallying speeds either.  Just 40-50 on bumpy B roads.  The standard suspension used to cope very well with those situations.

I'm not trying to put you off, but just warning you that GTI was quite low from the factory and lowering them even more will cause suspension travel and ground clearance problems.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »
Thanks for your comments Pudding. Taken on board and will continue doing some more research.

I just want a nice drop. Normally its just me or me and 1 passenger in the car so might not encounter the issues of bottoming out like you.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 04:04:41 pm »
Same with me, but occasionally the practical side of a GTI is called upon..... and the first largish mid corner bump I hit, with 3 passengers, felt & sounded like the nearside strut had punched through the strut tower.  Pretty crap really.  It's always like this with suspension though.   Standard fulfils the job 95% of the time.  Change it and you quickly discover the other 5% of scenarios VW considered that we didn't  :smiley:

Don't get me wrong, the VWR kit rides and corners lovely, way more compliant than standard, but I'm finding I am avoiding certain routes now, which is a shame.

You can't go wrong with your initial choice if it's just you most of the time, and the Pro kit I believe is more forgiving than the Sportline kit.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:06:52 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 04:26:22 pm »
Cool. I will prob go for the B12 kit and add in the WALK and rear arb too.

Have to wait until the car is painted for those mods though.