Make a donation

Author Topic: Best induction kit  (Read 12662 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Best induction kit
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 01:41:13 pm »
I didn't lose any low rpm torque. The engine still reaches its peak torque at 2500 rpm. With an octane booster it made 335,5 BHP with the ITG panel filter (same as the VWR panel filter) and 355,5 BHP with the VWR CAI.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 01:43:44 pm »
I didn't lose any low rpm torque. The engine still reaches its peak torque at 2500 rpm.
Likewise, with a Ramair on my k03 things don't feel any different at low revs. 4k on though, it gave more power.

I've just got the funny k03 resonance noises to deal with!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »
Aye.  I guess they wouldn't get much business if everyone was happy with a stage 1 map on standard hardware  :grin:

It's just frustrating for an old man like myself to watch people wasting their money, and getting smoking turbos / engines in return for their hard earned cash.
Can you go stage 2+ on a standard airbox on a k03 as I'd rather not waste my money either.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Absolutely you can, just ignore the 'tuner talk' telling you it won't deliver it's best.  I'd rather sacrifice a few hp at the top end in favour of a quiet life.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 01:48:07 pm »
I didn't lose any low rpm torque. The engine still reaches its peak torque at 2500 rpm. With an octane booster it made 335,5 BHP with the ITG panel filter (same as the VWR panel filter) and 355,5 BHP with the VWR CAI.

Dynos don't record part throttle, and nobody drives at 2500rpm at WOT, but I have heard the VWR doesn't affect the off boost torque according to the bum dyno, which is good because the KO4 is noticeably laggier than the KO3!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 01:51:35 pm »

Dynos don't record part throttle, and nobody drives at 2500rpm at WOT, but I have heard the VWR doesn't affect the off boost torque according to the bum dyno, which is good because the KO4 is noticeably laggier than the KO3!
Well, the GFB DV+ must help a lot with that because I think the engine became a bit looser and the turbo faster to spool. It's the only time I hear the intake noise with the windows closed. It's a pretty quiet intake. :smiley:

The GFB DV+ releasing air became a bit louder too with the VWR intake.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 01:57:44 pm »

Well, the GFB DV+ must help a lot with that because I think the engine became a bit looser and the turbo faster to spool. It's the only time I hear the intake noise with the windows closed. It's a pretty quiet intake. :smiley:

The GFB DV+ releasing air became a bit louder too with the VWR intake.

Hmmmm.....you are convincing me again!  :grin:   I wonder if the part of the canister that hits the hose can be heated up and indented for clearance?  Is it proper carbon fibre, or fake stuff?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 02:03:23 pm »
Hmmmm.....you are convincing me again!  :grin:   I wonder if the part of the canister that hits the hose can be heated up and indented for clearance?  Is it proper carbon fibre, or fake stuff?
The VWR intake canister is made of aluminium. It's the Forge twintake and the CDA that are made of carbon fibre, right?

It can be bent, it's a soft material.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 02:06:03 pm »
The VWR intake canister is made of aluminium. It's the Forge twintake and the CDA that are made of carbon fibre, right?

It can be bent, it's a soft material.

Thanks for the info !

Offline Sleepy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2017, 08:22:41 am »
EVOMS or REVO. End of.

Stay away from canister CAIs as they are sh*t for the all important flow plus trap all sorts of detritus making the already sh*t flow worse.

There is a great Mod section (top of the page inbetween Shop and Trending) on the forum with a really good Modification Catalouge in it, have a look there for inspiration.

Where's your evidence to back up that rather bold statement?

When was the last time you saw an F1 engine, or a supercar engine with a bit of pipe hanging off it with a plant pot shaped filter on the end? 

Revo must be laughing all the way to the bank.   £300 for a bit of a pipe with a cheap bit of foam on the end of it  :grin:

Oh most definitely.

Not sure about R&D, its a bit of pipe ffs lol

R&D isn't necessary when you only care about WOT and max rpm conditions  :grin:

Not even Racing line applied much diligence to their intake design.  None of them do, except APR.  The only company to include a rubber flex bellow to allow for engine movement, and they made sure it didn't rub on important coolant pipes, snapping them off.   The latter is absolutely ridiculous and inexcusable for £400.   Snap that hose off at 100mph, and that's your engine written off.   The Revo one also breaks off it's mounting lug through crap design.

And Oh look, the factory one lasts for years, does the best filtration job and supports over 330hp in KO4 applications. Yeah, I can see why people would prefer a noisy, cheap looking drain pipe over a properly engineered part  :stupid:
Wish I knew this before. My VWR intake did exactly as stated to the coolant pipe ☹️

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

@Sleepy did on mine too mate - what did you do to rectify it or stop it from happening again?
Unfortunately I don't have mechanical skills so I had it towed to a garage. They then, replaced the pipe and modified the fitment to stop it from rubbing on the small rubber coolant pipe.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Offline harveym3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 09:13:13 pm »
any pic of the best ones fitted and where it best to get them

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 11:47:46 am »
any pic of the best ones fitted and where it best to get them

use the search.... use google... all the information is online.