Make a donation

Author Topic: Limp Mode Activated  (Read 13416 times)

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Limp Mode Activated
« on: June 26, 2017, 03:58:49 pm »
Hey :)

Poorly GTI atm, a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to take a look :)

VCDS Scan:
Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276): Open Circuit

Visual Inspection:
Cracked Sensor on top of HPFP

Questions:
> Is this sensor replaceable? Or does it require a new HPFP?
> Even though my GTI is a 55 plate it doesn't have the Banjo's

I've replaced the Cam Follower before now, but never completely removed the fuel pump, anything to note?

:happy2:

Photos:

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Re: Limp Mode Activated
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:20:46 pm »
New pump I'm afraid

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:36:58 pm »
This seems to happen all too regularly. Was it done taking the engine cover off/on?

You can buy a little shield that bolts over the top to protect it. Think @r5gtt and @Shoduchi have them.

AFAIK you the sensor itself can be changed rather than the whole pump. I'd hope so anyway - I wouldn't want to buy a whole new Loba if it happened to mine!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 04:43:22 pm »
This seems to happen all too regularly. Was it done taking the engine cover off/on?

You can buy a little shield that bolts over the top to protect it. Think @r5gtt and @Shoduchi have them.

AFAIK you the sensor itself can be changed rather than the whole pump. I'd hope so anyway - I wouldn't want to buy a whole new Loba if it happened to mine!

Have you seen the 300 odd post thread on the facebook group about those sensor cover plates?  :grin: 

If you haven't.....basically, Niki Gower posted a thread about the pump bolts stripping the threads out of the chain cover if using the sensor guards with OEM bolts and it all hit the fan.

I don't get it personally.  I've had the engine cover off dozens of times and never once even come close to contacting the sensor with it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 04:46:58 pm »

Have you seen the 300 odd post thread on the facebook group about those sensor cover plates?  :grin: 

If you haven't.....basically, Niki Gower posted a thread about the pump bolts stripping the threads out of the chain cover if using the sensor guards with OEM bolts and it all hit the fan.

I don't get it personally.  I've had the engine cover off dozens of times and never once even come close to contacting the sensor with it.
I haven't mate, I'm not on FB.

That sounds bloody catastrophic! I'm always very careful doing anything under there, but there's always that worry.

Cheers for flagging that up though - I didn't realise the cover/shields were a no-no. I'll stick to my current setup!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 04:53:37 pm »

I haven't mate, I'm not on FB.

That sounds bloody catastrophic! I'm always very careful doing anything under there, but there's always that worry.

Cheers for flagging that up though - I didn't realise the cover/shields were a no-no. I'll stick to my current setup!

Oh yeah, I think we've gone over that in the past.  I don't blame you for not being on FB!

It's not an issue if you use longer bolts to compensate for the sensor plate thickness, but in this case the R tech customer didn't.  The bolts stripped out after mapping and it all got very heated and abusive!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 05:39:30 pm »
Cam cover has been stripped by a member of r tech and apparently it's my fault for using the cover with washers with titanium bolts of the same length as the oem bolts so it's not enough thread to catch the cam and lock up tight!!! I've had the pump off many times with these bolts and never had an issue with stripping threads as I'd be on here crying about it first  :signLOL:
There's no way the new pressure of the pump after the map will pull those titanium bolts out!, even if let's say for example 4-5 threads were holding the hpfp into the chain cover where it sits as it's still catching them inside the case as I always finger tight first with pump pushed in all the way. I personally believe the pump wasn't fully home as it's spring loaded and the titanium bolts at the top were just catching the threads as it was tightened into the case and then stripped the alloy thread causing this!.

Rant over  :signLOL:

Here are the bolts given by Niki at r tech to get me out of trouble where you can see one is already damaged before it's even been put in so obviously this will further damaged the threads of the chain cover where the pump fits  :doh:

Why is it that garages always pin the blame on the customer I don't know  :sad1:

Ps I didn't even blame anyone at the time when Niki started screaming swear words down the phone so this really upset me more than anything  :sick:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:24:49 pm by r5gtt »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 09:46:33 pm »
Niki has just messaged me with videos of what he's been upto today and from what I can see in the videos and I screen shot them to make sure I could count the threads of the bolt that there's still plenty of thread left even if there were a washer and cover fitted. I'd say 5-6 threads and will be enough to hold the pump in place even with 10nm of torque or hand tight  :sad1:

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 09:49:13 pm »

Glad I was just too lazy to order the cover for mine

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:40:53 pm »
I'm using the Celtemp cover and since the bolts that came with the cover were the same length of the OEM bolts, I just kept the OEM bolts. Been running fine since last November. :confused:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:55 am »
I'm using the Celtemp cover and since the bolts that came with the cover were the same length of the OEM bolts, I just kept the OEM bolts. Been running fine since last November. :confused:
I used the titanium bolts given to me by someone and also two washers on the top of the pump and cannot see how this would of stripped the alloy unless fitted incorrectly  :confused: also some will laugh but those people are a classic example of immature twats imho as they couldn't get anymore freebees off me  :signLOL:  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:21:50 am »
I'm afraid I agree with Niki mate.  4-5 threads is not sufficient, and titanium being way harder than aluminium, they will just pull right out.  Were the threads in the chain cover in good shape before you took it to R Tech?  Do you suspect they over tightened them and they then pulled out under the load or something?  These things are always your word against their's unfortunately.

The thing with pressure....think of it as resistance.  Oil pumps, turbos, fuel pumps, meth pumps etc...... none of them create pressure.  They create flow.  Pressure is the resistance to flow, and it's that 'resistance' which brings Newton's third law into the equation, which is: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".  So when Niki commands and extra 55 bar of pressure from the pump (that's 800psi of additional resistance!!), that is a LOT of additional force on the bolts.

Also remember that VW designed the pump mounting hardware to sustain 110 bar, max.  When you push things beyond their design brief, you're on borrowed time.

What I don't agree with, if it's true, is how you were treated as a customer.  I don't know the guy, but he has a good reputation and I can't imagine him swearing at you down the phone unless he was provoked?  Professional suicide!

Anyway, get yourself a new chain cover and move on mate.  Bin that silly sensor cover, I hate those stupid, ugly, pointless things  :happy2:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 11:16:34 am »
Mux lets not drag this up again.... The Titanium bolts fit perfectly without any cover or washer..... With a cover the available thread is marginal/on the limit.... Add a washer and its not. Its that simple - all R-Tech did is Torque to spec - i.e. the what is needed to safely hold the HPFP to the casing.

As for the way you were treated - given the support and offer of help & repair you were offered - not a fair account at all.

As I have already said - chalk it up to experience - that your chosen bolts are not suitable for that application - and move on.

@rich83  @rtechniki @vRSAlex
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 11:35:15 am »
The videos for anyone interested.

You can clearly see the difference in available thread both with and without a shield
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:41:43 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 11:46:26 am »
I used the titanium bolts given to me by someone and also two washers on the top of the pump and cannot see how this would of stripped the alloy unless fitted incorrectly  :confused: also some will laugh but those people are a classic example of immature twats imho as they couldn't get anymore freebees off me  :signLOL:  :happy2:

I have no idea what you mean?  Less of the swearing too please.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook