Make a donation

Author Topic: KONI FSD damper/spring question!  (Read 3331 times)

Offline paul n

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
KONI FSD damper/spring question!
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:25:49 am »
hi all

Just got a edition 30 (stage 1 Revo,walk, ramair)  and wanted to upgrade the suspension mainly to make it better on the bumps as the roads up here are brutal! Did loads of research, decided i wanted Ohlins but loads of money and then found a set of koni FSD dampers on special for under £400 so thought i would try a cheaper option first and see how they go! I don't really want to lower the car at all so i am thinking either leaving the standard springs on or getting Elibach pro kit springs. Found some on special at awesome GTI and need to know if these springs will fit an Edition30? They are for a TDI 4WD but is it the same springs? Also where is the best pace to get new OEM top mount, ball joints, etc as i will replace all those bits as well whilst i am doing the dampers.

cheers Paul

https://www.awesomegti.com/…/…/vw-golf-mk5-eibach-pro-kit-3/

Offline paul n

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Re: KONI FSD damper/spring question!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 12:19:26 pm »
anybody?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:58:10 pm »
they will fit but are the wrong axle weight for your car...best getting the right ones...
top mounts get from tps

Offline paul n

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:12:09 pm »
Cheers for the reply,

I did some more research and the axle weights listed at 30-50kg different so a very small percentage of the 1050kg they list. They don't list spring rate though which i thought a little strange. it would be interesting to see if there is any difference in spring rate or if all the MK5 springs are the same?

Anyway as you say probably not worth the risk so i will either stick with the springs on it all ready or get the correct ones.

is it worth getting Eibach springs? i read a little about the pros and cons of progressive springs.

any feedback appreciated

Cheers Paul   

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:53:32 am »
You might be better off going for the RacingLine kit, or just their dampers if you don't want to lower it.  Tried, tested and proven to improve the ride quality.

FSDs for GTIs and non-GTIs are apparently very different in ride quality, and if matched with aftermarket springs, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:39:03 pm »
Koni FSD match well with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. You can't get the Pro-Kits for GTI, just for 2.0 FSI, but they should still be better than the OEM springs.

Another good option is what Pudding said.

Offline paul n

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:22:51 pm »
You might be better off going for the RacingLine kit, or just their dampers if you don't want to lower it.  Tried, tested and proven to improve the ride quality.

FSDs for GTIs and non-GTIs are apparently very different in ride quality, and if matched with aftermarket springs, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment.

already got the FSD dampers as i found them on special so just bought them!

thinking now i should have just saved up for ohlins! will probably just run them with the OEM springs for now and see how they go! replacing the drop links, ball joints etc should tighten things up a little as well.

best place to get tops mounts, ball joints, drop link etc?

Cheers Paul

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 01:40:45 pm »

thinking now i should have just saved up for ohlins! will probably just run them with the OEM springs for now and see how they go! replacing the drop links, ball joints etc should tighten things up a little as well.

Cheers Paul

Yeah I went for the Ohlins.  I hope they live up to the hype!  I have to say though, the Racingline kit exceeded my expectations and would suit the majority of people.  I just wanted the next level in damping, so Ohlins it had to be.

Ball joint options are Passat B6 from the dealer as they're 5mm taller than GTI, so work well on mildly lowered cars.  Or SuperPro ball joints for more camber, which AKS Tuning sell. 

Top mounts, I would go TT from the dealer.  8J0 412 331 x 2 (rubber mount). 6N0 412 249D x 2 (bearings). N910 216 01 x 2 (damper nuts). N101 277 07 x 6 (Top mount bolts).

Replacement GTI ones can squeak over speed humps etc because the metal part of the mount moves too much with uprated suspension.

Drop links I wouldn't bother with unless worn out.

The other thing I would strongly recommend is a TyrolSport deadset kit, which AKS also sell.

Offline paul n

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:34:21 am »

Cheers Paul

Yeah I went for the Ohlins.  I hope they live up to the hype!  I have to say though, the Racingline kit exceeded my expectations and would suit the majority of people.  I just wanted the next level in damping, so Ohlins it had to be.

Ball joint options are Passat B6 from the dealer as they're 5mm taller than GTI, so work well on mildly lowered cars.  Or SuperPro ball joints for more camber, which AKS Tuning sell. 

Top mounts, I would go TT from the dealer.  8J0 412 331 x 2 (rubber mount). 6N0 412 249D x 2 (bearings). N910 216 01 x 2 (damper nuts). N101 277 07 x 6 (Top mount bolts).

Replacement GTI ones can squeak over speed humps etc because the metal part of the mount moves too much with uprated suspension.

The other thing I would strongly recommend is a TyrolSport deadset kit, which AKS also sell.

cheers for the info :) i might have to hold off on the deadset kit as it is £225! read up abit about it thou and sounds good.

so deffo main dealer for parts? looking at ebay for those part numbers i can get febi replacement parts at a good price. i generally avoid main dealer as prices seem steep! is it worth doing the top mounts at the back as well?

be very interested to see how you get on with the ohlins!

Cheers Paul 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 11:32:08 am »

Cheers Paul

cheers for the info :) i might have to hold off on the deadset kit as it is £225! read up abit about it thou and sounds good.

so deffo main dealer for parts? looking at ebay for those part numbers i can get febi replacement parts at a good price. i generally avoid main dealer as prices seem steep! is it worth doing the top mounts at the back as well?

be very interested to see how you get on with the ohlins!

Cheers Paul

Trust me, it's probably the best £225 you'll ever spend on a GTI!

The bolts and bearings, definitely, but the rubber mount you could probably go with Febi.  Not as sturdy or made to the same standard as OEM, but it'll do the job.
Dealers make most of their money from parts and servicing...... it costs money to keep the lights on and pay staff etc etc......but it's the only way to get factory quality parts.  Even dealers wince at some of the parts prices.....but it's all a deliberate game to get us into newer cars.

Anyway.....yeah I will report back on the Ohlins  :happy2: