Make a donation

Author Topic: Removing A-pillar airbag trim?  (Read 8070 times)

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
Removing A-pillar airbag trim?
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:01:59 am »
I want to fit a windscreen DAB aerial, and would like to hide  the wires behind the A pillar trim. but the fact it has AIRBAG written on it, is a bit scary, have visions of it doing off as i pull on the trim :sad1:
I watched a parrot fitting vid on youtube, where he says to push the "airbag" label in to release the trim. Is that correct?
Can i then maybe poke a wire coat hanger down inside and over back of glove box to get to the back of rdc510?
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Re: Removing A-pillar airbag trim?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:07:07 am »
You use a small screwdriver and remove the tab that says airbag.

Under that is a torx screw, remove the screw and the trim can be removed.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:11:27 am »
Same advice as above however, disconnect the battery if your worried but you'll normally have a few faults to clear then.

Also read a few articles on fitting blue-tooth you'll see what's coming your way!

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=151928.0

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 08:58:40 pm »
Hi guys,

Going to attempt a DAB aerial/Bluetooth mic install this weekend so I will be needed to pull out both a-pillar trims for cable routing... so is it really that easy? Do they just pull away after removing that one torx screw? - after disconnecting the batter obviously :smiley:

I've got some trim tools lined up for removing the airbag tabs and I'm hoping there's plenty of clearance behind the trims for the cables. I should have to start dropping the glove-box out to dress the cable back to the head unit should I? I can't link it now but some guides suggest you do...

Thanks.

4ndy

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 09:17:11 pm »
Yes. easy to do Just make sure the cable doesn't fowl the airbag. Clipping pillar trim back in place can be tricky so make sure the fixing points line up correctly. I thought my cable was fine until I had a new alarm (cobra/vodafone) installed. fitter fixed the cable securely with sticky backed things

willni

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:39:39 am »
As someone said above best to disconnect the battery when working around airbags, probably won’t go off unless you’re 24volt man but 30 seconds versus airbag to the face and burns.

With some cars you can get away with just lifting the trim sightly and tucking it in for a neat.

The golf isn’t one of them though unfortunately, you’ll need to unscrew the trim to get it perfect at the top but you can for the most part just tuck it in. If you’re running it through the passenger side you should be able to work through the side panel without taking the glovebox out. If you do remove it just remember the reconnect the hose to the glovebox after it’s annoyingly awkward to do.

What aerial are you opting for I need to connect dab to my unit but for the most part haven’t been bother to find an aerial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 10:15:16 am »
From memory, in the A pillar you cant really see the airbag - just a strap from the end of it. Also not sure there was any airbag wiring here either - just a drain for the sunroof (if present). I could be wrong though and better to be safe than sorry!

What I do remember was that getting the trim off was easy - putting it back on was a pain as its shaped to fit perfectly in place, making it hard to get back on at the bottom where it meets the dash.

I had also read the airbag cover plate over the screw is a one time use so I bought a spare ahead of routing some cables. I ripped the airbag plate off with no care at all and somehow it didn't break so the spare was un-needed (and I believe relatively expensive, for a piece of plastic :fighting:)
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 06:16:27 pm »
I agree with the above. Getting it off was easier than getting it back on, I also didn't have to replace the airbag badge.

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 03:25:38 pm »
Did mine today, to route a DAB aerial, can't say I'm in any particular rush to ever do it again...