Make a donation

Author Topic: Front End Clunk (Subframe Bolts Done) *Video Inside*  (Read 7551 times)

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Front End Clunk (Subframe Bolts Done) *Video Inside*
« on: November 06, 2017, 03:39:26 pm »
Guys I need help locating the source of this clunking. It does it over speed bumps and over rough roads.

The subframe bolt fix has been done. I did have a look at the drop links (adjustable joms) and the rubber boots were completely failed so I replaced droplink and no change at all. the Car is on AP coil overs and not lowered much.

I know when the coilovers were done, febi top mount and bushes were used and Ive got a feeling its these but want confirmation before I take it apart.
Theres also a clunking when I brake while reversing, im assuming this is related to the worn part.

You can hear the clunk clearly at 00:10 and it happens on both sides, more on the drivers side though.

Also the noise when braking in reverse, this is me breaking on and off to make the sound.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:42:54 pm by waqasr »

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=uhujphmd7bv483q0vk5e9916i2&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Front End Clunk (Subframe Bolts Done) *Video Inside*
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »
Have you checked the CV joints?

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:41:01 pm »
I have looked at them, they seem fine and dry, not grease apparent or any cracks in the cv boots.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:29:35 pm »
That's definitely not subframe but sounds more like a your anti roll bar bushing  :thinking:

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 12:42:39 am »
Hmm, Ill have a look at those, thanks R5, not sure if you remember me but I picked up the GTI bumper from you a couple months ago! :happy2:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:35:47 am »
That's definitely not subframe but sounds more like a your anti roll bar bushing  :thinking:

Can they be that noisy while rolling so slow? What about top mount bearings?

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:29:54 am »
After seeing how much of a headache it is to do the bushes, Im really hoping its the top mount bearings!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:57:23 pm »

Can they be that noisy while rolling so slow? What about top mount bearings?
I not long had a an issue with my arb coming loose damaging the bracket and believe me it was bad. I was thinking too mounts but didn't want to say that as it way not be. Does your car happen to pul to the left or right and you struggle to bring in back to straight position?.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:58:26 pm »
After seeing how much of a headache it is to do the bushes, Im really hoping its the top mount bearings!
Pain in the  :booty:

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 03:41:57 am »
Nah it doesnt pull to any side, runs perfectly straight. Oh god and tonight theres a new sound, just drove 140 miles to Birmingham and getting close to my destination, has to pull a 3 point turn and as I pull away I hear a tick tick tick and then a loud clunk! Really need to do something about all these noises

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:26:57 am »
Clicking whilst doing a 3 point turn sounds like a CV joint. Get it in the air and give them a good grab and look for any abnormal movement

I can't view the videos in work but your original description sounds like what I had on mine, after I changed everything on the front end of the car hunting for it..... and it turned out to be the steering rack knocking
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:17:03 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=uhujphmd7bv483q0vk5e9916i2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 07:55:29 am »
I have looked at them, they seem fine and dry, not grease apparent or any cracks in the cv boots.

Doesn’t mean the cv joint is sound though

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 11:35:01 am »
Clicking whilst doing a 3 point turn sounds like a CV joint. Get it in the air and give them a good grab and look for any abnormal movement

I can't view the videos in work but your original description sounds like what I had on mine, after I changed everything on the front end of the car hunting for it..... and it turned out to be the steering rack knocking

Sorry just to clarify it was after I turned the car around so I was driving straight when it happened, theres no clicking on turns.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 12:00:41 pm »
Have you checked the CV joints?

Id say dry is the opposite of fine  :wink: sorry, I know you mean the boots. Just reads funny.

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 11:40:42 pm »
Lol I guess your right. But still no luck with this. Think I will try changing the top mounts and bearings in the coming weeks and see if that sorts it.