Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello all, would you buy this car as your daily driver? Help needed!  (Read 1380 times)

Flyingflake99

Hi, I'm in a terrible quandary, the GTI bug has bit and I want a MK5 GTi... We have a large family wagon and need a 2nd car for either me or fiancee to get about on our own. We'll do about 10k a year between us in the 2nd car. I have found an 06 GTi with 71k full version service history uptown 68k, it apparently needs belts aas they were last done in 2013 @ 37k miles. The temp guage is reading 90 after ticking over but drops to 70 when driving (I didn't try it with the heater on to see if it drops again). The car is a one owner car and is in very good condition but no extras like leather/heated etc... He's looking £5100 for it what is the consensus? Buy or no? My mechanic reckons the belts are fine uptown 80k at least and won't need done till next year. There's a 3 month statutory warranty on the car. Any help gratefully received!

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Hello all, would you buy this car as your daily driver? Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 03:29:54 pm »
Without seeing or driving the car it’s difficult to say. From what you’ve said though, the mileage is very good for the year.

I’d side with your mechanic in that there is no rush to get the belts done if they were last changed around 35k ago.

Sounds like thermostat may be playing up though, but not a huge issue.

Price doesn’t sound outrageous, at the mileage and with full history + warranty but again difficult to judge without seeing it.

How does it drive?

Check the usual mk5 Gti areas and report back if you’re unsure

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 08:14:25 pm »
The cambelt is overdue to be honest - the interval is every 4 years or 40,000 miles - whichever is soonest. I would also change the water pump at the same time.
I recently had the thermostat replaced on my ED30 - same symptoms as you describe. That was £300 for parts and labour.
You don’t mention if the car is manual or DSG - if DSG, it may need a DSG service also.

Rich

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:09:12 pm »
Cambelt change every 40k is overkill on these engines. Even VW revised that interval to 60k. Take your chances with the 4 years.

Personally one cambelt change on a 71k engine, I’d be happy with that and wouldn’t see any urgency in getting it done just yet. Many of these motors have exceeded that without a single change. Just factor it into the cost if you’re serious.

I think some people have unrealistic expectations when buying 2nd hand sometimes, and expect them factory fresh. But the fact is it’s a 12 year old car now. Unless you’re buying from an enthusiast, you will need to spend money somewhere, it’s almost guaranteed.

Best of luck

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 11:56:24 pm »
If it helps, my car is up for sale in the sale section at the moment. Well looked after and has many extras