Make a donation

Author Topic: Retractable no plate......  (Read 2556 times)

Offline morry_ed30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Retractable no plate......
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:03:13 pm »
has any use something like this??
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=2049&products_id=3922&osCsid=3427b3879615eac7c84ddf898306ca73

I quite fancy something 2 this effect as i much prefere the front of the car clean with no number plate, but its a real pain in the ass takin the plate on and off, or worse running the risk with no front plate and claming 2 mr police man it fell of in the car wash  :innocent:

Only device like this i have managed to find so far is for the american market, cant seem to find 1 that will fit our uk size plates??
Any1 got any ideas.....?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Retractable no plate......
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:24:38 am »
A few forumites here have smoothed or wrapped the upper grille surround and had the plates attached via magnets. This means the plate stays in position but can be easily removed for shows and for pictures.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:51:06 am »
most are just a flat plate so a UK plate should attach just fine.
biggest issue is ground clearance unless you have a 'slot' it can be fitted to thats above.
so I guess its could be fitted easier to an R32 that has lower slats
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:55:58 pm »
A few forumites here have smoothed or wrapped the upper grille surround and had the plates attached via magnets. This means the plate stays in position but can be easily removed for shows and for pictures.

My front is getting carbon fibre wrapped soon, and in anticipation I went to Dunelm Mill yesterday and bought some sticky velcrow fasteners, about the size of a 1p piece, 3 or 4 of them should go on nicely, and once off don't think it will show up that much for at shows, photographing.
However, think that this motorised holder is a bit ott really, doesn't look like the strongset fixings to keep it in place, as it judders around in the video.

Offline therock

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:20:37 pm »
is it legal to stick it in the top corner of the windscreen ? iv debadged mine and dont want a front plate and dont have one at the mo but there s only so long ill get away with it

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 08:04:55 pm »

is it legal to stick it in the top corner of the windscreen ? iv debadged mine and dont want a front plate and dont have one at the mo but there s only so long ill get away with it

....Surprisingly I haven't come across any written regulations yet which state the physical parameters for where you display your number plate on your vehicle. There's plenty of info about legal materials and fonts and sizes etc etc.

There's plenty of legislation about where lights are fitted such as no higher than and no lower than etc, but not plates.

You are more likely to get stopped by ANPR systems nowadays and I would make absolutely sure that the plate itself conforms exactly to the law.

Hmm, I wonder if you've discovered a loophole.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline big_dane

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:51:20 pm »
I was considering this as I've just put a smoothed grill on my golf but have been told by a family member, who happens to be a traffic cop that unfortunately the number plate must be attached to the most forward part of the vehicle.  :sad1:

I was gutted too!
Black GTI, DSG, 5dr, Full Leather, Sunroff, Winter Pack, Xenons, Completley Standard... at the moment