Make a donation

Author Topic: C pillar/driver side hatch hinge area rattle  (Read 693 times)

ktek95

C pillar/driver side hatch hinge area rattle
« on: January 19, 2019, 12:50:02 pm »
Hi guys,

Traversing the world from the land down under to seek a solution to my final rattle remaining in my MK5 R32. Our forums over there is a little dead compared to you guys and I just thought you guys might be a little bit more helpful.
I've recently managed to eliminate almost all my rattles in the rear boot area, only for one to return ten times as strong  :scared:.

I've pretty much done everything at this point barring stripping the whole rear end interior to find where it's coming from.
Just off the top of my mind I have:
- Removed and then secured everything in the boot to make sure it isn't any loose items.
- Greased and lubed my hatch hinges.
- Adjusted my bump stops.
- Checked my seat latches and plastics for rattles (none)
- Removed the hatch trim and re-secured all the wiring on the hatch itself.
- Checked sway bar bushings and renewed/replaced worn components.
- Checked rear springs and suspension for rattles.
- Replaced any metal clips/interior trim clips around the offending area.

I've even rode in the boot area to pin point where it is coming from, and I am 99% certain it is from the drivers side (RHD) hatch hinge area.
I can replicate the clicking/rattle by hitting the upper boot frame near the hatch seal and I've felt around the wiring loom and taped down everything that is remotely loose.
I tightened my lock/latches and solved my original rattle issue, which after a month of peace, caused this new rattle inside the C pillar somewhere?

Now I'm begging that someone out there may have a solution to this, as this has made driving this car completely unbearable.
The rattle is worse during hot weather and is very obvious when travelling down mildly uneven road (even with music on  :sad1:).

Any help is greatly appreciated!