Make a donation

Author Topic: K03 guys no longer need the k04. we have a hybrid now instead  (Read 36570 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: K03 guys no longer need the k04. we have a hybrid now instead
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 07:45:12 pm »
When i was referring to the only benefit Sy i meant in terms of against a K04 conversion.

If i were to pay say £500 max for a K04 then £400 for some new injectors. Say around £650 for install and K04 software. I would then have around the same power.

So the ONLY benefit then would be a faster spool and i would save around £500-700.

Im not denying the fact the turbo would make more power. It's just wether its worth the outlay when it could be achieved cheaper.

Carl :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 07:48:11 pm »
When i was referring to the only benefit Sy i meant in terms of against a K04 conversion.
If i were to pay say £500 max for a K04 then £400 for some new injectors. Say around £650 for install and K04 software. I would then have around the same power.So the ONLY benefit then would be a faster spool and i would save around £500-700.
Im not denying the fact the turbo would make more power. It's just wether its worth the outlay when it could be achieved cheaper.Carl :happy2:

put that way i see your point. and it is a bit steeply priced. i have fired an email off to people to see what they can do to the std k03 turbo with internal upgrades.  if as hurdy says they can be done for £500 i would definately be interested then.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 07:50:43 pm »
Owens will do a top job, there the best and the only people that I would trust to be honest..

i think it's a bit steep at £1800 (£2200 with injectors) the ONLY benefit would be faster spool.
[/quote]

As vRSy said.. More boost at high revs = more power..

For example, a GT3076R at 15PSI @ 7000rpm will make (give or take a few hp) the same numbers as a K04 at 15psi @ 7000rpm.. The difference is, K04 is about at its limit of boost at that rpm, yet a 3076 will make over 40psi. Hence more power is possible..

Us SEAT lads looked into getting the k04 hybridized a long time ago and apparently the k04 is pretty solid as it if with not much more to give, the company reckoned about 380bhp tops but email owens etc anyway and see what their opinion is.

I spoke to Brian about this a couple of years ago and he said the same, there is nothing to give from the stock 2.0T FSI K04 turbo..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 07:52:32 pm »
but the GT28 is very laggy. you only need to look at hurdys overlays with DANGBs. hurdy was making about 100hp more at the lower RPM points

so real life i think it would be better, and more accessable

Having driven dans car there is alot more lag compared to the k04 but that does come with benefits. He gets much much much better mpg than me without even having to try, and when in full attack mode the turbo will always be up and running also so in some terms its win win imo.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 01:12:25 am »
Owens will do a top job, there the best and the only people that I would trust to be honest..

i think it's a bit steep at £1800 (£2200 with injectors) the ONLY benefit would be faster spool.

As vRSy said.. More boost at high revs = more power..

For example, a GT3076R at 15PSI @ 7000rpm will make (give or take a few hp) the same numbers as a K04 at 15psi @ 7000rpm.. The difference is, K04 is about at its limit of boost at that rpm, yet a 3076 will make over 40psi. Hence more power is possible..

Us SEAT lads looked into getting the k04 hybridized a long time ago and apparently the k04 is pretty solid as it if with not much more to give, the company reckoned about 380bhp tops but email owens etc anyway and see what their opinion is.

I spoke to Brian about this a couple of years ago and he said the same, there is nothing to give from the stock 2.0T FSI K04 turbo..
[/quote]
jonny what would you reccommend me asking them about changing on the k03 to essentially make it a hybrid, ie cut turbines AF housings, bearings etc
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:15:32 am by vRSy »

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 10:22:39 am »
IMO i would just get a good used KO4. If i was doing it again i still would. It will work out cheaper. About the spool i can say i hardly noticed the difference between the Ko4 and Ko3. Isn't the Ko3 housing the same size as the ko4 but just with larger compressor and turbines?
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 11:13:25 am »
jonny what would you reccommend me asking them about changing on the k03 to essentially make it a hybrid, ie cut turbines AF housings, bearings etc

I would say that you will end up with a turbo that is potentially capable of out performing the K04 (I need to speak to Brian later anyways so ill ask) but the added benefit will be that the spec of the bearings etc will far surpass that of the OEM K04 turbo, so it should also be more durable.. That would be a win win..

IMO i would just get a good used KO4. If i was doing it again i still would. It will work out cheaper. About the spool i can say i hardly noticed the difference between the Ko4 and Ko3. Isn't the Ko3 housing the same size as the ko4 but just with larger compressor and turbines?

For sure the compressor side is larger and wheel too.. As far as I know the exhaust housing on the K03 / K04 is the same yeah, although the exhaust wheel is larger.. Again I don't know this for sure..

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:58 am »
I can't see they'd have built something a K04 can already do and does so well, knowing that conversion already exists on such a relatively easy and cheap basis.

I'm expecting this hybrid to be something a bit niche, dare I say even special? There's got to be a USP somewhere.

Jonny, get them to send me one and I'll bench it for them  :wink:
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 01:35:05 pm »
Spoken to Lee and it all sounds very good indeed..

The spec is basically going to end up K04 +

They now have ways of improving over the stock K04 fitted to the 2.0T FSI, actuators, bearings, cut back exhaust blades, ported manifold, billet wheels etc etc.. And well, for anyone with a K03 this is going to be a BIG hike in performance.. Even for those with a K04 expect good gains in torque and top end too.. With massive increases in reliability due to race spec thrust bearings etc etc..

Well worth it in my opinion!!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 03:28:40 pm »
i'm in te deep water here,but say tou upgrade a K04 with the parts jonny mentions, custom code is then needed right??
More power requires more fuel, is s3 injectors up to the job?
How about standard rods/pistons?? strong enough??   :confused:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »
i'm in te deep water here,but say tou upgrade a K04 with the parts jonny mentions, custom code is then needed right??

Bearing in mind recent 'debates' your choice of words is very amusing.  :laugh:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 04:28:28 pm »

Bearing in mind recent 'debates' your choice of words is very amusing.  :laugh:

to take advantage of the new internals code other than for instance Revo, bluefin or apr is needed right?
I know you need to be diplomatic inhere, or one might be banned  :laugh:    :P

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 04:41:39 pm »

In terms of upgrades to a K04 turbo.. Hurdy installed a forge actuator and had to play around with his Revo settings to suit, once he had done that then it was all ok.. I think so long as you have Revo you should be fine to be honest..

Im running standard internals with my turbo kit on the Golf so I see absolutely no reason why not so long as the tune is good and safe..

Going from K03 to Owens spec turbo will require a different map, injectors etc..

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 04:48:06 pm »
Wonder what they charge to hand your own ko3 in the get  done?
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 04:59:11 pm »

In terms of upgrades to a K04 turbo.. Hurdy installed a forge actuator and had to play around with his Revo settings to suit, once he had done that then it was all ok.. I think so long as you have Revo you should be fine to be honest..

Im running standard internals with my turbo kit on the Golf so I see absolutely no reason why not so long as the tune is good and safe..

Going from K03 to Owens spec turbo will require a different map, injectors etc..

you have ED30  internals , i have standard 200bhp GTI internals  :sad1: then a new map and fuelling, getting expensive fast  :sad1: