Make a donation

Author Topic: Coil Springs  (Read 1622 times)

AndrewS

Coil Springs
« on: February 20, 2019, 12:11:52 am »
I have a tidy MK5 gti with corroded rear springs. As the car is completely standard my instinct was to go with genuine VW, however at just over £200 for the 2 it gave me cause to think again. At this point I have to say using the car daily to do my 64 mile commute over a verity of roads I am happy with the ride.
Do I bite the bullet with VW or are there some other good choices? 9 speed bumps each way say I would not really want to reduce the ride height and I am not changing the shocks at this time. Though when it does come time I am likely to go for simple Bilstein or Saches. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Alex Booth

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • AKS Tuning
    • AKS Tuning
    • Email
Re: Coil Springs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:20:36 am »
Hi Andrew,

Best option would be to for some H&R or VWR lowering springs. They will drop the car between 25-30mm so you will be fine with speed bumps still and it won't be too crashy or anything so still ideal for daily use. In fact, most people who have them fitted usually say it feels a lot better, not as bouncy and absorbs bumps a lot better. Plus the benefit of less body roll so it will handle considerably better as well.

We stock both here at AKS Tuning, more than welcome to chat through prices and options with you if need be.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Coil Springs
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 01:53:25 pm »
I had a snapped rear coil spring picked up on my VW main dealer service. They wanted something like £350 (discounted down from £400) to replace both.

Took to my usual local garage and had some non genuine VW ones put on (same ride height) for £150 all in.

They seem ok, noticed no difference whatsoever in the ride so I was pleased with the price.