Make a donation

Author Topic: Misfiring - Water ingress in Spark Plug port.  (Read 4977 times)

Offline aidanhudd

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Misfiring - Water ingress in Spark Plug port.
« on: March 16, 2019, 05:16:10 pm »
Struggling at the moment with my Mk5 GTI.

The car has been misfiring and after plugging the car in and looking at the spark plugs and coil packs, port No. 4 has an ingress of water, which is obviously causing the misfire and corrosion to the spark plug and coil.

Has anyone ever experienced water ingress in the spark plug port? and also why? how can I stop this?

I can obviously replace the plug and coil, but I need to prevent the ingress of water to stop this reoccurring.

Thanks for your help,

Aidan

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 673
Re: Misfiring - Water ingress in Spark Plug port.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 04:52:02 pm »
Did you inspect the coil's weather seal?  If it's hard and brittle, or ripped, or a non-genuine coil, that's probably your answer.

Pretty hard to get a lot of water down there with the OEM engine cover in place though, or has yours got an induction kit, which exposes the coils?   If so, someone jet washing the engine could be another cause.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline aidanhudd

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Misfiring - Water ingress in Spark Plug port.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 09:39:58 pm »
Did you inspect the coil's weather seal?  If it's hard and brittle, or ripped, or a non-genuine coil, that's probably your answer.

Pretty hard to get a lot of water down there with the OEM engine cover in place though, or has yours got an induction kit, which exposes the coils?   If so, someone jet washing the engine could be another cause.

Yeah I've got the OEM engine cover fitted. Maybe just the coil seal! Replaced and running okay for now, hopefully the new coil will sort the job.