Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit mk5 steering controls  (Read 1663 times)

Offline stuartj9

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Retrofit mk5 steering controls
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:09:35 pm »
I wonder if anyone can help. I have successfully fitted a CH module and Meyle stalk and activated cruise control - it works!! I have a 56 MK5 R32.

I bought some MK6 controls as they would work with this but realise I would need an MK6 steering wheel. This would cost too much so this idea is scrapped.

I'm looking at buying the mk5 SW controls. Do I need the middle part as well as the left and right buttons? Is this what they plug into? What does this middle bit then plug in to. I've attached a picture to help. TIA.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Retrofit mk5 steering controls
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:25:03 am »
Do you have a standard steering wheel at the moment? Don't think you can just retrofit the buttons and module into a standard one, unless you have the cutouts for the buttons?

A lad on here cut his up like a prison snitch @ https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=95667.0. Wasn't tempted myself, don't think it's a very good method at all.

The button do plug into that square module, however you may also need the wiring harness for the airbag, as that's different to the non MFSW. Part #1K0971584C

You may also want to check that your slip ring is compatible. There are two types, #1 and #2.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions.

My slip ring on my 08 Edition 30 was fine.

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline stuartj9

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Retrofit mk5 steering controls
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 10:06:57 pm »
All done!! Worked a treat. Cutting the foam away wasn't that bad - just take your time and keep putting the buttons on to test  :happy2:

If you horn wont go off or work properly, you have the wrong harness. This happened to me. I had the 5K0 and needed the 1K0. They both look identical.