Author Topic: Clutch pedal sticking *solved*  (Read 4579 times)

Offline GTiWILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9rdrcaupka7ki39jtrnoi54gs2&/topic,120945.0.html
Re: Clutch pedal sticking *solved*
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 11:04:48 PM »
No worries boys. I’m glad it has helped a few people out  :happy2: :happy2:

Offline svvg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »
 :happy2:

Offline svvg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 08:24:33 PM »
Bit of a bump - the sticking clutch pedal has now returned.... seemed fine ever since October when I inserted a shim. Anyone have ideas? I’ve only down 6,000 miles and can’t believe it’s worn enough for another shim.

MNy thanks!

Offline Pudding

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 510
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 02:10:17 PM »
Slave & master cylinders OK?

If they are, probably the gearbox.

The 02Q manual box uses a plain roller bearing to support the input shaft, which is not designed for thrust loads. They rely on the shim to take up the slack, but the bearing itself can wear out and create its own additional play that no amount of shimming will take out. It’s a serious issue with heavy aftermarket clutches. Eventually the play gets so bad, the gears start rubbing each other, causing difficulties shifting and lots of noise.

It’s a crap bit of design really.  I’m surprised no one has come up with an 02J taper bearing conversion....which *is* designed to handle thrust loadings.

Went through all this myself and ended up fitting the box from a newer car. A 2011 Scirocco TSI. ‘KZS’ code....to keep the ratios near as dammit the same.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:12:08 PM by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | Ohlins Coilovers | Revo Map | Plus some other stuff | Is all a GTI needs :-)