Make a donation

Author Topic: First project  (Read 883 times)

Offline Thebicboi

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
First project
« on: December 19, 2019, 11:00:03 am »
Hi, basically I have a 1.4 golf s 58 plate. Iv had it for a while now and thought about selling it BUT recently decided that there's no point as I wouldn't get much (no service book, one key blah blah) but I know I've kept it good!
So iv always wanted to do a little car project of my own so I thought why not? It's sitting there.
So the question I wanted to ask was iv looked at body kits and I know exactly what I want but wanted to see what everyone thinks of doing these things on a 1.4 3 door and if it would be affected in a bad way.
GTi front bumper + skirts
R32 back with exhaust - what kind of sound would come from a 1.4L car?
Alloys ( not decided) (would 18" make it sluggish)
Couple of other things like fender flares or wider arches with spacers
(I'm new with this so don't laugh at my lack of knowledge lol)
Any help appreciated !

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Ytee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
Re: First project
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 09:50:27 pm »
Intriguing. What's your end goal? Are you looking for track/fast road fun, or are you just trying to make it look better/faster?

I'm no expert at modding by any means, but if you're looking for actual performance then I think you'll be better off starting from a better platform. Otherwise you'll spend a fortune on mods just to make it as quick as, say, a standard GT Sport, and the insurance premium would be twice as much as it would be for one of those!

If, however, you're just in it for kicks or to create something unique... and money is no object... then yeh, have at it and let the creative juices flow :)

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Stage 1 '07 Mk5 GTI

Offline Thebicboi

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 10:15:30 pm »
Hey, thanks for reply...
In terms of performance in live in London there's no fast driving around here lool which is why I thought it would perfect to have a unique car with a smaller engine ! Long as it's loud im down lol
I found this company in Germany for parts that I want as I have a rough idea of what I what I want. However popped down to the garage to ask for quotes for spraying new primed parts and little scrathes I already have and it's looking a bit crazy lol
The place I was looking to get parts is called DM autoteile heard of them??

Offline Ytee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:57:10 pm »
I've not heard of them no, but I'm sure someone on here has.

Sounds like you're looking mostly for cosmetics then, which really isn't my area at all, but I hope you find what you're looking for.

Yeh the price of just about any type of modification quickly gets beyond silly, especially if you're paying people to do the work. I think it helps to know roughly what you're trying to create and then work backwards from there. Helps to ensure you don't do things you later regret or have to reverse in order to do the next thing.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Stage 1 '07 Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 10:12:37 pm »
I would give it an Edition 30 makeover and stick it on RacingLine springs/dampers.  Won't break the bank and should give it the look you're after.

I have yet to see an aftermarket bodykit that looks any good on the MK5.  Stick to OEM parts for the best fit and finish.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Thebicboi

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 12:16:44 am »
Hey guys! Just put the bumper on...
Long story short was picking up a couple peices from someone who as breaking his golf and saw his bumper which was the GT one... It was a nightmare cutting it to fit lol can't tell if it's an original? Took ages chopping parts off ! And don't even have the foam in there anymore the centre grill is missing a screw at the bottom to fit it on but still think it's looks nice, what you guys think? I hear I can just swap the grills to GTi. Yes still looking or OEM parts can't always tell? Next is some side skirts from somewhere. Thinking of taking the alloys of my Passat think theyll look nice for now until I find the right set.
I'm doing all the work in my own garage (have a commercial garage) but first time working with cars lol. Trying my best...
More silly questions....
Springs a job I could do myself?? What type and size of springs ?
Exhaust work can be done on my own??
In terms on performance what can I do with my 1.4? Didn't think much the guy I got the parts of had some indication kit on it I wasn't to sure what it does