Make a donation

Author Topic: New cam shaft  (Read 3627 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: New cam shaft
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 01:45:37 pm »
48kw is beyond the maximum advance of the VVT adjuster, so the timing is miles off by the sounds of it.   Probably explains why your compression readings are about 90psi off spec if the inlet valves are opening way too early.

I would get a used genuine cam and genuine parts for the other bits and go back to the drawing board personally.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dunkdafunk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 11:47:21 am »
The after market parts dilemma has been hit and miss for me. Ive bought parts that have done so well and cost me alot less. And then theres parts, which i would have thought if your going to the effort of 3d tracing and reverse engineering a camshaft, then surely they would have tested it with approval. My thoughts are the cam journals with 180k dont work well with a new cam. I dunno.

None the less iv grabbed a good second hand J revision. Cheers Pudding. Will give that a go.

With regards to hydraulic lifters, can i take them out once the cam is off and make sure they are filling ok? do i need any special tools or isit just best to lift the rocker off and fill with oil?

Also does anyone have any decent pdf's or links for the vw or other valve train designs and oil flows etc?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:54:24 am by Dunkdafunk »

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:05 pm »
Once the cam is out just lift the rollers with the lifters attached and separate them. To reinstall put the lifters in the hole then put the rollers in place and push down hard until they click in. You will see what I mean as soon as you have them in your hand. You can either clean them with an ultrasonic cleaner or parts washer, or replace them. 

Offline Dunkdafunk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 06:27:28 pm »
Cheers fjb

Offline Dunkdafunk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 08:34:18 pm »
Found out one of the main issues with my new aftermarket 100 quid intake cam.

It's been reverse engineered, and with this in mind they have put a massive fuel pump lobe on. Maybe thinking it's a consumable part, or there material isnt as good as what it should be so accommodated for wear? Iv not checked with a vernier but I'm guessing the valve lobes will be slightly bigger aswell.

Recieved the second hand low mileage original vw J revision, and it's pump lobe is no where near the size of the aftermarket one. The top of the triangle lobe shape reaches nearly just about the top of the chain when it's on the sproket. And on the original it sits kinda below the chain. So I'd say an extra 3-5mm extra on the pump lobe alone. I duno how to put pics on here but it looks mad. Im thinking the knocking noise has been the actual fuel pump reaching its piston stroke end, as I had fuel codes coming up. I should have used a vernier before putting it in. Worth noting.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:57:59 pm by Dunkdafunk »

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 10:29:03 pm »
After market parts unfortunately, can I just point out too... even with the cam locking tools you can get the inlet cam a tooth out, they can roll back from the valve compression, I know because it happened to me the first time round! Had to double check everything. Eventually noticed one of the cam lobes wasn’t pointing in the correct direction. Looking face on at the lobes from the timing chain side, the 2 lobes should be points towards each other (left cam lobe facing 10 past and right cam lobe facing 10 too) hopefully that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dunkdafunk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 01:47:14 pm »
Fitted new camshaft that's vw. Fitted via 18th 19th pin. Chain is new ish. After market pulley is on which come with the timing kit a while back. 

Previous aftermarket intake cam lobe profiles were not as bad as i originally thought in my previous posts. Massive weight difference tho between vw material and aftermarket steel.

The chain tensioner had its filter on the back semi blocked/blocked, so the chain tensioner piston was quite hard to move down. Cleaned it up and moves freely. The vvt solenoid operates when connected to a battery and has 7ohms.

Could the vvt pulley be blocked, or the housing oil passage? Can you take the vvt pulley apart?
I think the sealing rings, maybe plastic, have broken? Does anyone know the part number for the vvt plastic rings that go inside the timing case?
What's the knocking sound, the vvt pulley with low oil pressure?

I'm getting these codes, along with a loud audible clicking/tapping sound which seems to come from the vvt pulley side.

00010 camshaft positioner bank 1 intake slow response short circuit to another valve
004506 fuel pressure sensor (g247) malfunction
000021 bank 1 CMP sensor (g40) / engine speed sensor (g28) incorrect correlation
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:03:38 pm by Dunkdafunk »

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2020, 05:54:54 pm »
The rings come in a pack of 3, part # 06F198107A

Offline Dunkdafunk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 07:33:43 pm »
Cheers FJB. Much appreciated.

Does anyone know why these rings are so expensive? What material they are? Shame you cant just 3d print them
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:45:33 pm by Dunkdafunk »