Make a donation

Author Topic: HELP - Mk5 2.0 GTI WILL NOT TURN OFF  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Alexth

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
HELP - Mk5 2.0 GTI WILL NOT TURN OFF
« on: May 03, 2020, 10:05:12 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am a complete newby on this forum so your help will be greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a 2006 MK5 GTI as my project car.

I am by no means an expert  and this  could be totally coincidental.  Yesterday I replaced both indicators on my mirrors as they were cracked.  I tested them and they worked fine.  This morning I  went down to top up my coolant which I did and then I turned the car on to check that the warning switched off.

The car started normally and then ....I went to turn the car off and I turned my key back to the. Off position and removed my key but the car remained running. There was no way  to turn it off but stall the engine.  The problem after that was the electrics on the dash remained on.

So next  I was worried my battery would drain so  the only way to stop the battery from draining was to disconnect the battery.

Can someone please help me ???   What could be the cause of this ?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

Alex

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Re: HELP - Mk5 2.0 GTI WILL NOT TURN OFF
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 02:39:11 am »
Happened to mine not so long ago.

In my case it turned out to be the subwoofer amp wiring that were I think touching each other.
Soon as I took the wiring off the amp the car was back to it’s normal self.

Check your earth and power wires...somewhere

Offline Alexth

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 12:44:30 pm »
Thanks for the response i really appreciate it  - tbh the only change i made before this  situation started was that I switched out  the indicators on my mirrors for aftermarket ones i got off ebay. When i tested them the work perfectly. Do you think there could be a fault internally within them that is causing this ?

The other thought i had  was ..... is there a correct way connect the heated mirror wiring ?  Could reversing those two wires cause thise?

The other thing i thought was possibly the starter sensor or ignition  barrell.  Does anyone else concur with the above? Do the symptoms line up?

I appreciate any response anyone can provide.

Thanks Alex

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 03:37:08 pm »
Maybe put your old indicators back in and see what happens?

Try the mirror heater wires too, swap them and see if that rectifies it. Do this first I’d say as it’s simpler than swapping the indicators

Offline Alexth

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 08:27:29 pm »
Hi I just wanted to provide a quick update.  The issues i encountered were indeed  caused by the mirror heater wiring being reversed.  As soon as i switched those around the car ran and switched off normally.

Thankyou for all your advice it is greatly appreciated.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 04:14:07 pm »
That's weird!  I can't say I noticed the polarity of the mirror heater when I replaced a glass a few years back.  Guess I got lucky!

Sounds like reversing the heater polarity keeps a relay engaged, which appears to be shared with the ignition circuits!  You live and learn!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D