Make a donation

Author Topic: New member questions.  (Read 1196 times)

Offline GrumpyCat

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New member questions.
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:22:08 pm »
After looking for a nice GTi for the last month I made the 320 mile round trip to sunny Glasgow to look at a 2007 GTi Edition 30 number 0417. Came back home with it and it seems to be a good un!
As usual I've a long list of questions because the internet contradicts itself so much so if anyone can point me in the right direction it'll be very much appreciated.
a) Which OBD/code reader do you find most useful?
b) I've used Euro Car Parts in the past but have heard good things about German & Swedish,any others I should consider?
c) Front tyres will be replaced before this winter, currently has Bridgestone Potenza 225/40 R18 92Y but what do forum members recommend?
d) Finally, which are the most popular YouTuber's for mods, maintenance & general stuff?
Many thanks for making it this far,if you see me round & around Lancashire then give me a wave!
Drifting supermarket trollies around the aisles.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: New member questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:40:21 pm »
A - Depends how deep you want to dive, I got a good VW specific code reader good for basics such as scanning and service resets, but you can't do any coding - ended up getting a Hex can cable
B - I have used both, I don't use GSF at all now as their web site does not tell you what you are ordering, I have no idea of what their idea of a premium part is - plus my nearest GSF is 40 miles away on the wrong side of Glasgow, I have 2 ECP in Edinburgh and third in Fife that are closer.
C - Pass I have only had my Mk5 for 7 months
D - Humble mechanic & Micks garage  - recently found ghostlyrich who does some good guides

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 12:04:56 am »
If you have an Android phone OBD11 (OBDeleven) works great and you can do coding with the pro version (I've not done any coding with it yet) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBDeleven-OBD2-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scan-Code-Tool-For-Android-UK-NEXT-DAY/274135391622?hash=item3fd3be1d86:g:H5EAAOSwGdJeqtzh Had mine a couple of years, I just noticed they do a new version with IOS support, so that's you Apple fanbois sorted! https://obdeleven.com/en/

Other than that you're looking at VCDS from Gendan. https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23_16.html#product_information I have both.

Limited to 3 vins use on that though, the software will detect if you say try coding on a number of different cars, I believe you can do basic stuff (code reads etc) and it not count toward the 3 vin limit. Of course if you only need it for only one vehicle thats fine.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:58:13 am by GVK »

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 07:46:43 am »
Michelin PS4 seem highly rated.

Offline GrumpyCat

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 09:58:08 am »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply,the VCDS is out of my league at £225!  On reflection maybe letting a garage do the coding bit & I'll get just a basic error scanner/code reader. Had discs & cable from BM Cables a few years ago for a BMW which impressed me so I'll look if they do anything for VAG models.
Had a quick look at the YouTubers & subscribed,many thanks once again.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 12:31:33 pm »
Have a look at Gendans website some reasonable stuff on there I got a Foxwell does  live data

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 12:42:17 pm »
Have you used the Foxwell reader titchy? I bought one off Amazon when I had my Clio 182, tried it on various cars/vans and it's yet to work on anything.  :fighting:

Hence why I have the 0BD11 and more recently proper VCDS - cheap readers rarely do ABS/Airbags/VAG specific modules.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:44:49 pm by GVK »

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 02:00:20 pm »
I used  it on my previous Mk5 quite a lot helped to get to the bottom of a vac leak |I have used it on my brother in laws Octavia and a mates Polo handy tool Gendan were and are helpful

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 04:28:22 pm »
Ah cool, mine must be a dud then or something.

Can't fault Gendan at all I ordered the VCDS cable from them on a Friday morning and was delivered the next morning while in lockdown.

Offline GrumpyCat

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 08:46:40 pm »
Thanks everyone for replying,I've checked out the Foxwell website. The Foxwell NT200E Diagnostic Scan Tool is affordable at £38.95 but the one I'm going for is: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274363610435.
It has the inbuilt DTC lookup so that alone gives it the edge over others  around that price point.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 09:13:13 am »
Thats a Chinese clone