Make a donation

Author Topic: S3 intercooler  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Kebab Spider

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
S3 intercooler
« on: May 28, 2020, 05:45:07 pm »
Hi guys, been reading these forums for years but not sure if I've ever posted. Got a right headache at the moment and need some help if possible please?

I recently bought an S3 intercooler on eBay, part number is 1K0 145 803 BP. I believe it came off a 2014 Audi S3, he sent me the hoses as well.

I had it fitted (and stupidly left my old intercooler and hoses at the garage).

Car seemed to run fine on the way home but then it rapidly went downhill. Rough idle, hissing noise, misfires etc.

I took it to someone local (not the lads that fitted the S3 intercooler) and they basically said one of the IC hoses was kinked and it also didn't have an O-Ring on it...

The mechanic said he could normally trim that hose and put an O-Ring on it but the way that the locating pins on the hose go into the turbo discharge pipe means that it will always be twisted.

I found something from @bacillus about this which seems to sum it up:

Important Note for K03 Turbo owners looking to perform the S3 upgrade:
The OEM Turbo discharge transfer pipe part number 1K0 145 840 Q - does Not work with the Audi S3 Intercooler upgrade as the Intercooler entry side turbo hose has a different orientation of locking keyway.
This 'non working' transfer pipe is 'generally' fitted to (and therfore effects) later cars, typically MY 2006 onwards. However an actual inspection of the pipework type fitted to your car is always recomended as it is not easy to state what models have the 'Transfer Pipe that works' fitted by chassis look up.

Mine is a 57 plate. ANYWAY............sorry for ranting but I just need to know what to do or what to buy now? Could I buy a set of OEM GTI boost hoses, cut the connectors off and use them or should I buy something else? Links would be great.

I just don't want to spend more money buying new boost hoses that go into the turbo discharge pipe a certain way and are still kinked.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:00:17 pm by Kebab Spider »

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: S3 intercooler
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 10:51:08 pm »
Simplest solution is to one of these this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-FSiT-TDI-ALLOY-BAYONET-BOOST-HOSE-INTERCOOLER-HOSE-COUPLER/171266960379?hash=item27e04e6bfb:m:mhmz-vmhA5rZ_gfAQolzung

You can still use your old rubber hose, you just need to carefully cut the stainless connector off, trim to a suitable length

Offline Kebab Spider

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 11:35:43 pm »
Are you saying I can put one of them on the end of the Audi hose (the one in the pics above)?

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 12:31:33 pm »
Yes - just have to remove the old damaged connector and connect the hose with a jubilee, there are 6 sizes to choose from so measure carefully

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 05:08:20 pm »
ring the garage and ask if they still have your old setup.
if yes then the cheapest option would be to get the old hose, cut off the metal coupler at the IC end (keep as much of the hose as possible). You can then use the old hose together with a jubilee clip for the IC side.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:29:07 pm »
I am confused as to why they say it will always have a twist and kink. If you add a seal and it would seal in boost...you'd simply loosen the worm gear clamp at the other end and untwist it? Even trim off some hose if necessary.

Anyway, the adapter others are mentioning is a fix. And as mentioned; Get the correct adapter and install it into the fmic, cut the current hose just behind its dented/damaged coupler so it fits with minimal kink, and clamp that hose onto the new adapter.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:37:39 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 09:08:11 pm »
The issue is the nubs on the S3/6R hoses are in a different orientation to the K03 metal discharge pipe, hence the twisting out of position.  Seems like a K04 discharge pipe would sort it....and is a neater, more OEM fix than an aftermarket adapter.  And what the actual F'ck.....fitting a boost hose with no O ring??   People have no bloody standards or diligence anymore.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 12:29:31 am »
Agreed, fewest connections the better.
But other than recovering the old pipe, the adapter is a cheap option as requested by the OP, I was going to suggest adapted discharge pipe, but it's more monies

Offline Kebab Spider

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 12:43:53 am »
Nice one lads, thanks for all your messages, I'll let you know how I get on.

@Pudding I've read your Racingline springs/shocks review a fair few times, nearly pulled the trigger on them but then saw you speak a bit less highly of them in another post. Looking to refresh the suspension and lower it a bit so I'm doing my brains in trying to figure out what setup to go for!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 02:10:09 pm »
To be fair, those metal discharge pipes wear out internally from all the engine movement anyway, which no amount of new O rings solves.   I picked up a new discharge pipe with hoses for 2 brown sheets from ebay, off a 25K old S3.  Problem solved  :smiley:

As for suspension, that really is a tricky one.  My preference is inverted monotubes with linear rate springs.  Not the most comfortable of setups but cornering and body control is so much better than OEM style twin-tube setups.  I reckon the Bilstein B8 kit for MK6s (softer damping than MK5 apparently) might fit the bill.

The Racingline kit is of an unknown provenance since they don't make it themselves.  It's definitely a rebranded something or other kit, but to me the spring rates and damper valving feel mismatched.  It might be OK with anti-roll bars but I didn't try it in that configuration.  I didn't get the ARBs until after fitting coilovers.....and they are definitely worthwhile with any aftermarket kit  :happy2:

I do remember my first impression of driving a brand new MK5, being of a taught, and compliant chassis that handled well and swallowed bumps.....so maybe a complete overhaul of all new OEM parts might also work?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D