Make a donation

Author Topic: 155k mile GTI  (Read 848 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
155k mile GTI
« on: June 16, 2020, 04:19:18 am »
Hi. I’m in the market for a mk5 golf gti. Had 2 before and they were some of the best cars I’ve owned. This is comparing them to C63, M4, M5 and Porsche Macan turbo. They punch way above their weight for usable performance.

I’d like a stock manual car, only option I really want is the factory xenon headlights. I’ve seen a 2005 Irish car, 154k miles, new Michelin PS4S all round, 3 door, gun metal grey and 18” monza wheels. Factory Xenons. 

All 4 wheels need a refurb, both rear arches have some blistering, front wings have been replaced, cars had a service and 4 wheel alignment. It’s located in the same city as me so I’ll arrange to view it.

At this mileage what issues could I face?

I was going to ask,

Has cambelt / water pump been replaced
Diverter valve
Cam follower
Springs as they’re known for cracks
Brake pipes

Anything else? 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 04:20:49 am by Black9 »

Offline roryscott30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: 155k mile GTI
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 08:33:12 am »
Hi there,

I bought my GTI earlier this year with 160k and Just before I bought it the fuel pump cam follower was changed, PCV and DV changed which I think were overdue. Now I have then car running better (changed Gearbox/clutch/DMF due to a constant whine) I will be moving on to the timing chain which I would say is a recommendation at this mileage. I also checked the turbo and there was a fair bit a play in the shaft so again although it runs fine I will be saving up for a replacement/hybrid.
 Great cars though and do everything I want from being sporty to carrying all the family and dog...