Make a donation

Author Topic: OBD bluetooth readers  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Steveo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
OBD bluetooth readers
« on: August 30, 2020, 11:07:11 am »
Hi all,

I'm interested in monitoring some live data on my Mk5 GTI (fuel pressures, and generally anything in the future which needs a basic check) but i'll be honest, can't afford the gold standard equipment. I will always get codes read properly so this isn't a replacement for that. Does anyone have experience and therefore educated opinions on these cheap and cheerful plug-in bluetooth readers that hook up to a phone app? Are they worth any time and money?

Cheers. 

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: OBD bluetooth readers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 12:22:47 pm »
I have a foxwell better than obd have a look on the Gendan website

Offline Steveo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 10:46:50 am »
Cheers for the suggestion.  :happy2: Looks good but is that only a fault code reader? Ideally i'd like to be able to see live data but as usual, without the cost of industry equipment. Lots of things out there on ebay and Amazon that say they will do it, but I would value the experience of those who have good knowledge as to whether they are of any use.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 02:16:59 pm »
the foxwell I have has live data i cant remember the model [its in my mates garage] Think it was around £40

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 07:41:42 pm »
I have an android head, it came with the Torque app, it can monitor boost, speed, charging etc. too much information!

On a long trip my engine light came on, I just get Torque to check the fault codes and it clears them too - its not as deep a dive as VCDS, suspect it may not clear every code it comes across, but handy to have on the road.

Despite the head unit being canbus compatible, for some reason torque still needs bluetooth obd reader.
I was having a bit of bother with battery drain, need to check again, unsure if that was just the head unit or also the bluetooth still running with the engine off.

Offline Steveo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:23:43 pm »
the foxwell I have has live data i cant remember the model [its in my mates garage] Think it was around £40

That's ideal, I was looking at the much more expensive units. I'll look again.

Offline Steveo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 09:26:28 pm »
I have an android head, it came with the Torque app, it can monitor boost, speed, charging etc. too much information!

On a long trip my engine light came on, I just get Torque to check the fault codes and it clears them too - its not as deep a dive as VCDS, suspect it may not clear every code it comes across, but handy to have on the road.

Despite the head unit being canbus compatible, for some reason torque still needs bluetooth obd reader.
I was having a bit of bother with battery drain, need to check again, unsure if that was just the head unit or also the bluetooth still running with the engine off.

Looks like some pros and cons there, but handy to have. Is that linked to a dedicated app? And can you see any live data or just codes?

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 06:45:35 pm »
Torque is the App, really well supported online
Another app I have used is OBD doctor this was OK