Make a donation

Author Topic: I'm finally a golf owner...  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Bert

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
I'm finally a golf owner...
« on: September 05, 2020, 11:48:33 pm »
Hello,

Well this is certainly an unexpected turn of events, please allow me to explain.

Being brutally honest I never really understood the fascination with Golfs until I owned one as of 28 hours ago. Throughout the years I always dismissed them due to FWD/AWD only available in NA (I'm showing my age here ;-)) obviously times have changed...

So my daily up till this point has been a 500+bhp V8, but with a daughter joining the mix in two weeks it just seemed a bit silly to use that to pop to the shops buying nappies and whatever else.

A MK5 Golf GT TD came up at a silly price, high milage at 249000, paint work is peeling and there's some surface rust, a right lemon I thought. As it wasn't far away I thought I'd go see it, run around cars I had looked at previous to this was a Benz S class (S320), C240, E320 and I was considering the Audi A2.

Unfortunately the golf looked worse in real life compared to the pictures, nothing new there...anyway I took it for a drive and kinda fell in love with it. The suspension is surprisingly great, it handles extremely well and the power is great once you're out of first gear...

I looked at my Mrs who has owned a Mk6 Golf and was like it's time to eat humble pie, I really like this car and want it. And so I became a Golf MK5 owner. In 28 hours I've driven over 400 miles out it leisure because I really like how it handles corners etc. When I'm sensible with the loud pedal I can achieve 56mpg, when I'm driving without a care for mpg, like today for a 260 mile journey I averaged 42mpg.

What is this wizardry? My life for the past two years has been 4-11mpg round town, 16-24 on motorway.

Best of all is the handling I'm in awe. Golf FTW.

Offline Garythegolf87

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: I'm finally a golf owner...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 04:52:11 pm »
I’m sure you aren’t the first. I had a Mk6 got tdi courtesy car one week after buying a car from a dealer.
It was BRILLIANT
225k on the clock and still felt brand new to me.
As it turns out my wife now has a MK6 1.2tfsi and I’m getting my candy white mk5 gti next week.
Can’t wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk