Make a donation

Author Topic: Hella Xenon look headlights mkv golf  (Read 69269 times)

Offline MR Pap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Hella Xenon look headlights mkv golf
« on: March 16, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »
The other day I decided to finally pull my figure out and change my headlight housing. There are hundreds of lights on the market and some very modestly priced, yet just lack that BAM!!! that I was looking for. Upon wading through the vast quantities of these, I stumbled on hella’s OEM XENON look headlamps (hella actually supply vw’s factory fitted lights so the quality will be equal to that of the factory, which is always a plus).

These are identical to the ones offered by VW but are for standard H7 bulbsNOTxenon and at £500ish they are not cheap. I put the idea on the back burner until I found a RHD set on ebay for £320 (from a company called tuning fanatics), and lapped them up straight away!

They are “plug and play” (although removing the bumper and about a million screws is required), this is the first time I have tampered with a car, so if I can do it anyone can!

I don't know how to get photos on here, so if someone could lend a hand that would be nice  :grin:

When asked "What would the dogs bollocks look like with four wheels" VW designed the golf gti.

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Hella Xenon look headlights mkv golf
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:26:24 pm »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 03:41:37 pm »
Welcome MR Pap.  :happy2:

I considered getting some of these as i love the look of the xenon's but i very rarely drive at night. still a bit expensive though.  :happy2:

have you got a link.  :happy2:

Offline MR Pap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 05:16:01 pm »
Hey Guys, thanks for the welcome  :grin:

Yeah the bottom ones are lights I got hold of. I'll try and sort a pic out at home. They came standard with Orsam Night breakers, but fitted ABD ice blue 6500k bulbs lastnight (they look hot  :laugh:).

When asked "What would the dogs bollocks look like with four wheels" VW designed the golf gti.

Offline chungE

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:36:17 pm »
Can you put some pics up please? And let us know if you noticed much difference using the same bulb on stanard unit vs the Hella unit thanks.

Offline MR Pap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:39 am »
I'll be honest, still having problems uploading photos on here lol. The night breaker bulbs were about a million times brighter and White then the ones that came with the car. The 6500k abd's thAt I have n at the moment are an ice blue composite and don't look tacky. However they're not as bright As the night breakers.

I have only had these bulbs in the new houseing, and can therefore not foment on how these will look in the standard housing from the factory. Yet I would imagine the night breakers will look fine and the abd's a bit sh*te as there will far to much blue all over the place (which I don't personaly like).

I will try to get photos on  :happy2:

Offline SKAVIA

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 9
    • Build thread
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:06:59 am »
You just need to upload your pictures to PhotoBucket then copy the IMG code and paste it into your reply.  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 09:24:36 am »
Would it not have cost only a little bit more to buy some S/H xenons?  :confused:

Offline MR Pap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:34:17 am »
Before the lamps (notice the yellowish tinge in the fogs, thats what the main beam were like)

After replacing the main headlight housing (note the lights arn't on)

On the left is the Orsam Night Breakers, and the right ABT 6500k's ice blue. (this was taken on my phone, so is a bit crappy so i'll get another couple of photos later). The abt's are much bluer than the night breakers (although this isn't entirely obvious from the photo)

:grin:

Offline MR Pap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37:47 am »
S/H xenons are like £500 arn't they? and also I heard they are very fiddley to put into non xenon cars???

I may be wrong however.

This is one of the reasons i started this thread as there is next to no information out there on this issue  :sad1:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:45:00 am »
The search button is your friend dude!  :happy2:

There are dozens of threads on here about the various headlight options. However, yours do look very good!  :smiley:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:50:38 am »
and legal too  :laugh:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 10:08:48 am »
Legal Schmegal!  :booty:

Offline MR Pap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 10:44:31 am »
Lol, yeah maybe should done some more thorough research.

They are totally legal, fit the purpose, so am a happy bunny  :grin:

what would you guys advise in terms of remaps? And do you know how badly they impact the insurance in the uk? :drinking: