Make a donation

Author Topic: Nice mk5 gti review  (Read 7973 times)

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
Nice mk5 gti review
« on: December 23, 2020, 05:37:19 pm »
Not that we do not already know this or we would not be here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQ8mkQAa3c

Offline BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Nice mk5 gti review
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 05:44:13 pm »

Offline EnglandUK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 08:42:34 pm »
Shows how much love there still is for the mk5, I think this will only grow and grow.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 06:26:11 pm »
More love shown in recent top gear review too

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/best-2020/has-new-vw-golf-gti-run-out-ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 11:17:35 pm »
I think that's Dan Prosser, ex Evo chap.  He's a bit of a GTI fan boy to be fair.

I do agree with him.  The MK5 is fun.  MK7 onwards simply isn't.  And that's based on subjective test drives and objectivity.  MK5's alloy subframe etc switched out for cheap pressed steel and many other cost savings.  The MK7+'s steering is bloody awful. Dan was quite restrained in his review but it's completely numb, detached and lifeless.

I've said it many times on here but the MK7+ is not much of an upgrade over a MK5, if at all.  The only thing that's improved is the perceived cabin quality, but even that is MILES behind it's equivalent Audi.  The fact MK7+ seats bolt right into a MK5 demonstrates how little the core structure has changed.  It's just meh marketing and bullsh1t revenue generating facelifts.

BTW, alloy chassis components are used for rigidity rather than weight savings  :wink:   VAG ditching that driver focus in favour of cheap arse steel pressings speaks volumes about sales over driver enjoyment.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:20:43 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline EnglandUK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 02:16:46 pm »
I’ve just come from a mk7 albeit a GTD and the steering was probably the lowlight of an otherwise excellent car, steering was a lot more numb on my A3 saloon. Mk5 has that older hydraulic feel which is nice and less artificial than the 7.  You can see the savings being made even more on the newer VW models, no flock in door cards or armrests, no 12v socket in the boot, no gas struts for the bonnet, no rubber in the bottom of the cup holders, etc

Offline vwmike1991

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 10:08:09 am »
After listening to Prosser and Frankle on the drive nation podcasts that review doesn't surprise me at all, when they were on about cars they both like and would actually advise people to go out and buy they did a good piece on the mk5 pretty much summing it up as an excellent all rounder and a bargain.

Working for VW for the past 10 years I've always said the quality of the newer stuff just gets worse with every revision of the models even the facelifts and the more tech they shove in the worse it gets. The new touch climate controls whilst they do actually work cant beat a physical button as your left stabbing at the panel trying to turn the f***ng heated seat on.