Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch noise!  (Read 1517 times)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
Clutch noise!
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:18:45 pm »
Hi all

I know their has been a few clutch problems highlighted on here just recently, and I have another to add! I have a noise when pulling off from standstill, whether in 1st or reverse. I can only describe it as a creak just about the bite point only. No vibration throught the pedal at all.

The dealer has now heard the noise, and have rebooked the car in for further investigations. They have made it quite clear that if it is clutch related and the gearbox needs removing, I may be liable for all costs! I understand that I would be responsible for friction plate etc, but surely not anything else such as release bearing etc. They say that VW will only cover clutch components for 3 months, and suggets that I live with it until it gets worse.

The car an Edition 30, only 15 months old with 12,000 miles, so I am not too happy! Any thoughts? Whats the story with premature clutch wear and DMF problems.

Thanks!

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: Clutch noise!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:22:38 pm »
i would guess the duel mass is on it way out . or the springs are dead . from the factory the springs are just not powerful enough to hold the plates . i have just had mine done and went for a uprated clutch and flywheel (helix) and if you compare the 2 side by side the vag one is toffee . is the car mapped ?
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Clutch noise! Edition 30 - DMF?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:31:16 pm »
No completely standard. Would the DMF be covered under warranty? Am I right in recalling that a few of these have been replaced at lowish miles on Edition 30's?

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:36:55 pm »
Had mine replaced a month or two ago.  Under warranty too, all ok.  Go to another dealer.

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:41:47 pm »
What are the symptoms? I have no judder etc. Mileage? Were you asked to sign taking liability for the costs if they think that it is due to miss use?

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 06:42:55 pm »
Not at all, they just said they would have to get the parts in. 

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:47:58 pm »
Thanks for your replies - what are the typical symptoms and mileages?