Make a donation

Author Topic: ABS Module has died. Which ABS Module do I purchase?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline mems101

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
ABS Module has died. Which ABS Module do I purchase?
« on: February 18, 2021, 06:39:54 pm »
Hey Ya'll,

My Abs module in my car has just died, and Part of dash has lit up like a christmas tree. I've got a handheld scanner, and its scanned the car and code 16352 has come up. I've checked all the ABS Fuses and they're all fine.

Do I need to replace the PUMP, or just the ABS ECU module?

The scanner has told me the parts and part number, but im confused with what Part number I should use when looking for new parts.
Part No: 1K097379CD
Parts: 1K0907379AD

My MOT is due in a couple of week and I would love to get this sorted asap. Any help would be great!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: ABS Module has died. Which ABS Module do I purchase?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:40:39 pm »
There was a recall on these through the dealers

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 07:56:33 pm »
As said this was a FOC for the G201 fault so ask the local dealer you may be lucky.

This is worth a read
https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/threads/the-famous-brake-pressure-sensor-esp-fault-g201-01435.4101/

If you do the job have the coding taken off the original unit with a VCDS scan or you'll give yourself unnecessary hassle to initialise the new Pir repaired one to work.

Offline mems101

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 08:09:38 pm »
Unfortunately, the firmware has been updated by a VW garage back in 2017. I Asked VW and they said they could fix it, but i'd be paying privately as the recall has already been done :(

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 09:22:34 am »
I'd remove your abs unit and send it to these guys, no coding problems then. https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/volkswagen/vw-touran-golf-v-abs-pump-module/

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 09:10:42 pm »
The government's MOT history website will tell you if your car is due any updates.......but unfortunately the ABS pump and controller are one unit.

The problem is they die with age, mechanically, because the ABS pump is seldom cycled during a brake fluid flush, which is the proper VAG procedure.  Only dealers do this.  DIY and back street garage flushes don't do it.

If the ABS pump is not exercised during a fluid flush, the cruddy old dirty fluid doesn't get pushed out of the pump pistons, which eventually leads to seizure.

It's a good excuse to upgrade to a MK6 XDS ABS upgrade though.  Traction control up to 60mph (instead of the MK5's pathetically low 25mph or whatever it is) and also proper spinning wheel braking, aka 'electronic diff', traction control instead of the MK5's one tyre fire action.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline kriss199

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 02:36:03 pm »
hi Pudding,
could you help with part numbers for upgraded MK6 pump please?
I have the same problem and pump codes as original one above
thanks in advance
Kris

The government's MOT history website will tell you if your car is due any updates.......but unfortunately the ABS pump and controller are one unit.

The problem is they die with age, mechanically, because the ABS pump is seldom cycled during a brake fluid flush, which is the proper VAG procedure.  Only dealers do this.  DIY and back street garage flushes don't do it.

If the ABS pump is not exercised during a fluid flush, the cruddy old dirty fluid doesn't get pushed out of the pump pistons, which eventually leads to seizure.

It's a good excuse to upgrade to a MK6 XDS ABS upgrade though.  Traction control up to 60mph (instead of the MK5's pathetically low 25mph or whatever it is) and also proper spinning wheel braking, aka 'electronic diff', traction control instead of the MK5's one tyre fire action.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 07:46:51 pm »
I'd remove your abs unit and send it to these guys, no coding problems then. https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/volkswagen/vw-touran-golf-v-abs-pump-module/

They usually ask for just the controller part, this needs to be split from the pump - BA Reman are another option

hi Pudding,
could you help with part numbers for upgraded MK6 pump please?
I have the same problem and pump codes as original one above
thanks in advance
Kris

I have not done this, but looks like a great upgrade, but from research, it's not straightforward bolt off/on:
The connector is the same, but you need to re-pin wires to suit the mk6 controller
It also seems the pipe connections to each wheel have changed - requiring adapters.
A newer CCM
Then there is the VCDS coding required.
Not something you want to try to rush through for an MOT.