Make a donation

Author Topic: RARB + Side Shifter + Shift linkage end bushes  (Read 1128 times)

Offline ldubl

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
RARB + Side Shifter + Shift linkage end bushes
« on: September 18, 2021, 11:17:53 am »
Is there much difference between the rear arb upgrade options? 
Does it make sense to pay more than £199 for the Whiteline that comes with bushes & brackets?  On the Clio 182s the Whiteline rarb surface corrodes relatively quickly, so could be a consideration.  I believe some are hollow and some are solid.  If anyone has experience of more than one option or they regretted not getting a different one, for whatever reason, I'd be grateful to hear about your experiences!

Went to install metal shift linkage end bushes, the rectangular ones didn't fit as the car I bought came with a Neuspeed short shifter with the 9.8mm pin.  The round one on the side shifter has a bit of plastic that sticks up, to prevent it coming off I presume.  The original can be manipulated off (in a Dieselgeeks video) but I'm unsure if the solid metal bush can be put over it. 

Have others encountered the same?  Did you just manipulate the metal bushes over the plastic knurl? 
Does anyone make the rectangular bushes for the Neuspeed 9.8mm pin?

One solution to the side shifter is to upgrade to a short side shifter that comes with a metal clip rather than the plastic knurl.  The APR one sounds the best as it is a thicker metal than other options (reducing flex) and comes with all the bushes (including the slider bush where play can develop, hence Dieselgeeks producing the slider) Diesegeeks are not shipping to the UK anymore so I can't get their side shifter. 

There was a thread in May where one person had fitted a short side shifter and had a bad experience, but it may not have been adjusted properly (mine felt similar when I tried installing the bushes and required a second adjustment to resolve) surely more than one member has fitted a short side shifter! 

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,131484.0.html

I started a new thread as suggested, when I went to reply to the above thread, as the last post was more than 90 days ago and wanted to ask the other questions.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
Re: RARB + Side Shifter + Shift linkage end bushes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 02:02:22 pm »
The only real difference between the ARBs brands is bar diameter.  I wouldn't worry too much about surface corrosion.  The OEM ones get all scabby and flake paint off in no time anyway.  I would encourage you to fit a front and rear kit though.  Just a stiffer bar at the back only gives you half of the benefits.

I've always used Eibach ARBs.  Not the cheapest but they're one of the best.  OEM bars are hollow but I don't know of any (mainstream) brands that do hollow ones for the GTI.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 05:53:17 pm »
I had a Whiteline ARB that came on another VW, due to rust the original powder coating entirely de-gloved itself off the ARB and all the fittings corroded severely.
I don't think Whiteline understand the concept of salt and miserable weather in other countries other than their native Australia - it seems all their stuff corrodes.

Eibach & H&R are good -much better powder coating - I think Eibach only do a limited number of ARB diameters for the Mk5, but H&R have a much wider selection.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 03:23:45 pm »
One thing to watch out with the H&R arbs is that they reuse the original mounting brackets on the front rather than supply their own. You can’t buy these separately new from VW and need to drill off the old ones. Mine cracked and came loose a couple of years later. For this reason, I would suggest a different brand like say Eibach.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 06:35:06 pm »
/\ yup. Another reason why I chose Eibach because the front bar comes with the bushes/clamps pre-fitted, and they’re very stout. The rear bar can be used with the stock clamps no problem. Eibach also use nice bar sizes that don’t wreck the ride quality.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D