Make a donation

Author Topic: Most common DSG DQ250 problems today  (Read 2931 times)

Offline SuperElectric

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Most common DSG DQ250 problems today
« on: October 11, 2021, 03:58:07 pm »
Hello,

New to the forum, looking into buying my first Mk5 GTI! I am drawn to the DSG in these after watching and reading reviews about the Mk5 GTI.

Throughout the years I've heard a few things about DSG problems, but how are they holding up today in 2021?

Is it as simple as finding a good one that has been serviced on time every time? Are there common issues?

Cheers  :happy2:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: Most common DSG DQ250 problems today
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 05:29:04 pm »
Mine is very near 100k miles and is fine.

I change the oil and filter more frequently than the service schedule though and have done since I bought the car at 50k about 3 years ago.

The 'box had been serviced by VW prior to me getting it.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 05:44:46 pm »
Hit and miss some boxes that have been serviced on time have problems and others that have never been serviced last forever you just never know. Mines on 83k miles and is nice and smooth still.

The main thing is feeling how the box is when you test drive the car , make sure the car pulls off nice and smooth with out touching the Accelerator in both forward and reverse do this when the box is cold and warm , also go though all the gears manually and fully auto on the test drive again on a cold and hot box, any jerkiness and I’d walk away from the car myself.

Offline SuperElectric

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 06:38:25 pm »
Hit and miss some boxes that have been serviced on time have problems and others that have never been serviced last forever you just never know. Mines on 83k miles and is nice and smooth still.

The main thing is feeling how the box is when you test drive the car , make sure the car pulls off nice and smooth with out touching the Accelerator in both forward and reverse do this when the box is cold and warm , also go though all the gears manually and fully auto on the test drive again on a cold and hot box, any jerkiness and I’d walk away from the car myself.

Thanks for the advice. When would it be considered that the gearbox is hot? Up to temp with the engine?

Are issues also most commonly down to the mechatronic/ECU?

Offline SuperElectric

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 06:39:29 pm »
Mine is very near 100k miles and is fine.

I change the oil and filter more frequently than the service schedule though and have done since I bought the car at 50k about 3 years ago.

The 'box had been serviced by VW prior to me getting it.

How much are you paying for the service?

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 06:56:17 am »
A car that's spent all its life being driven around town (especially stop/start traffic) inevitably have more wear on the clutch packs and mechatronics/TCU.
I do a gearbox service at every 3rd engine Oil change & I've had no issues at 100K KM.
As mentioned any non~smooth operation will be a warning that gearbox issues are on the way.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline SuperElectric

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 07:22:09 am »
Thanks for the great advice everyone.

Roughly whats the worst case scenario for a recon / mechatronic / clutch cost replacement for these?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 08:36:38 am »
Brand new from VW dealers = astronomical.  Roughly £2K for mechatronic replacement with labour etc.  A whole gearbox, over twice that.

For used prices, have a look on ebay.  Generally around the £500 - £700 mark for a good used box, depending on mileage.  Avoid anything dirt cheap as it'll likely be fooked.

Mechatronic packs can be sent away for repair to companies like BBA Reman.  I think they charged around the £500 mark last time I researched it but has probably gone up considerably now, inline with everything else post covid.

The most common cause of failure on early DSGs was circuit board contamination, caused by too much sulphur in the oil.  VW changed the oil shortly after these issues surfaced, so that particular problem should be rare now, otherwise, it's just wear and tear on the actuator solenoids.  Regular oil changes is the key to long life.  Same applies to the engine.

The gearbox itself is bomb proof, so that shouldn't ever need replacement.

Clutch packs are only a weakness with aggressive remaps.  Standard cars should never need a clutch pack unless it has intergalactic mileage.

All car weaknesses are the victim of massive internet exaggeration.  DSG is very reliable if looked after, but if it's giving you the fear, perhaps consider the manual GTI instead.  They aren't completely free of trouble either but the repair costs are considerably cheaper.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 09:26:43 am »
Awsome GTI charge £219.

You can buy the oil and filter and do it yourself for much, much less.

Offline Oldie05

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 09:43:52 am »
My 2005 3-dr GTI (DSG) has just gone past 175k and the DSG box is seamless on shifts - no jerkiness cold or hot. But then it has had an oil change every 40k without exception. Straightforward DIY.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 11:32:27 am »
Does anyone know what could be the cause of dsg jerkiness at low speeds, but only after a long journey at Motorway speeds? Oil changed approx 8k miles ago. Car done 108k.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 02:48:54 pm »
VW charge £200 and to buy the genuine oil and filter yourself it’s around £160, for me I’d rather pay the extra £40 and get vw to do it , it’s something you don’t want to cheap out on and always use genuine oil.

Offline SuperElectric

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 07:57:10 pm »
My 2005 3-dr GTI (DSG) has just gone past 175k and the DSG box is seamless on shifts - no jerkiness cold or hot. But then it has had an oil change every 40k without exception. Straightforward DIY.

Is the DSG service interval based purely on mileage unlike engine oil? Can only see the 40k interval being recommended with no time interval.

Offline SuperElectric

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 08:43:14 pm »
Brand new from VW dealers = astronomical.  Roughly £2K for mechatronic replacement with labour etc.  A whole gearbox, over twice that.

For used prices, have a look on ebay.  Generally around the £500 - £700 mark for a good used box, depending on mileage.  Avoid anything dirt cheap as it'll likely be fooked.

Mechatronic packs can be sent away for repair to companies like BBA Reman.  I think they charged around the £500 mark last time I researched it but has probably gone up considerably now, inline with everything else post covid.

The most common cause of failure on early DSGs was circuit board contamination, caused by too much sulphur in the oil.  VW changed the oil shortly after these issues surfaced, so that particular problem should be rare now, otherwise, it's just wear and tear on the actuator solenoids.  Regular oil changes is the key to long life.  Same applies to the engine.

The gearbox itself is bomb proof, so that shouldn't ever need replacement.

Clutch packs are only a weakness with aggressive remaps.  Standard cars should never need a clutch pack unless it has intergalactic mileage.

All car weaknesses are the victim of massive internet exaggeration.  DSG is very reliable if looked after, but if it's giving you the fear, perhaps consider the manual GTI instead.  They aren't completely free of trouble either but the repair costs are considerably cheaper.

No fear, just doing my homework!

So it all boils down to making sure its serviced on time, and look for a stock car.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 02:22:57 pm »
Yep, which applies to all cars.

I wouldn't completely out-rule modified cars as enthusiasts are generally way more fastidious with maintenance than average Joes.

Clutch pack clamping pressure is usually turned up with remaps that approach the clutch's torque handling limit, which reduces slip and therefore extends lifespan.  Probably not a bad move if the engine torque exceeds 350lbft.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D