Make a donation

Author Topic: Ed30 Hybrid Turbo build  (Read 7195 times)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
Ed30 Hybrid Turbo build
« on: October 22, 2021, 09:01:40 pm »
The fun commences
Getting S3 IC and new AC condenser fitted, prior to car going to R-Tech in the new year for Venom 450 Hybrid Turbo install. Car will have full health check, inlet manifold walnut blast clean, runner flap delete and a Powervalve Sports exhaust fitted.
Plus all the other supporting parts.
Already had full DSG box rebuild done at Milta Technology, so should be a fun car to drive once all done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trav Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Ed30 Hybrid Turbo build
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 09:55:54 am »
Nice build! Be interesting to see the results.  I'm also booked for next year with Rtech going from Stage 2 Rtech to Stage 3 (BWA) can't wait.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 12:24:04 pm »
Good stuff.  You will be wanting 4WD after it's all tuned up  :grin:

What intake is that?  I like the metal shroud around the filter!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 12:27:22 pm »
Good stuff.  You will be wanting 4WD after it's all tuned up  :grin:

What intake is that?  I like the metal shroud around the filter!

Looks like an MST Intake.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 12:31:21 pm »
Cheers  :happy2:  Haven't heard of that brand but it looks pretty good.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 12:39:33 pm »
MST Performance are a Taiwanese brand. Probably hasn't made it over to your part of the world.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 08:55:23 am »
Good luck with the build. I would love to go stage 3 myself with either a venom430 or tte420 turbo but the waiting list for R-tech puts me off.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 03:28:33 pm »
MST Performance are a Taiwanese brand. Probably hasn't made it over to your part of the world.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk
Yep MST. Wanted a semi enclosed induction kit. Would have gone with a Volant kit but only available from USA and couldn’t justify the massive cost as power gains are minimal

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 05:29:41 pm »
Good luck with the build. I would love to go stage 3 myself with either a venom430 or tte420 turbo but the waiting list for R-tech puts me off.
Mine is booked in for Jan 2 2022. I wasn't in any hurry, hence getting done what is within my capabilities and under no pressure! One thing i've had to do is return the S3 upgraded I/C as was initially going STG2+ but with going Hybrid Turbo (STG3) thats not man enough, so splashing out on an Airtec I/C as albeit they state STG2 its more than sufficient for STG3. I cant wait to get it done, as already have the KO4 Converted GTi running 345hp 377tq and that flies, so with the Eddy going STG3 & looking at what TR Hamza achieved 417hp 424tq and that was with a sports cat (i have full 3in Decat)  it should be epic!!!!!! :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 09:17:43 pm »
I have the airtec stage 2 cooler , as you say it’s more than adequate for stage 3 and it handily fits in place of the original IC so no chopping the bumper or crash bar. I follow the R-tech page on Facebook and it seems around the 430hp 430tq mark is the norm for a standard engine with a hybrid upgrade which I imagine would make a very quick car.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 10:04:17 pm »
I have the airtec stage 2 cooler , as you say it’s more than adequate for stage 3 and it handily fits in place of the original IC so no chopping the bumper or crash bar. I follow the R-tech page on Facebook and it seems around the 430hp 430tq mark is the norm for a standard engine with a hybrid upgrade which I imagine would make a very quick car.

Yeah, i know the Airtec cooler is a spot on fit, so all good. I'm weighing up weather or not to go for a Trackslag 3.5in decat DP? Currently got an eBay 3in Decat, so not sure if cost v HP/TQ gains are worth £295??

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 10:35:50 pm »
Well I have the trackslag down pipe fitted too but can’t say for sure what the gains are over a generic 3” Downpipe as I fitted it after mapping and never went back to R-tech for a tweak. 

In theory the smooth transition from the turbo to exhaust will aid flow and every little helps on smaller turbo’s. If your wanting top end figures then it’s probably worth it and the quality is second to non.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 10:46:18 pm »
Well I have the trackslag down pipe fitted too but can’t say for sure what the gains are over a generic 3” Downpipe as I fitted it after mapping and never went back to R-tech for a tweak. 

In theory the smooth transition from the turbo to exhaust will aid flow and every little helps on smaller turbo’s. If your wanting top end figures then it’s probably worth it and the quality is second to non.
Cheers Sean. I’m chatting to Ben @ R-Tech ATM on FB messenger and he’s gonna speak to Niki in the morning but he thinks it’s a sound move, and as you say will defo aid flow and also combined with the BCS non valves sports exhaust I’ve ordered too

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 09:01:21 am »
That will be a great setup. The guys at R-tech will put you right.  The bigger downpipe does makes sense on a hybrid, especially on a Venom 450 which needs good top end flow to make the higher hp. The 3.5” dp will also give lower exhaust gas temps and generally be more efficient.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 09:06:34 am »
That will be a great setup. The guys at R-tech will put you right.  The bigger downpipe does makes sense on a hybrid, especially on a Venom 450 which needs good top end flow to make the higher hp. The 3.5” dp will also give lower exhaust gas temps and generally be more efficient.
Thanks buddy. Just about to order but calling them first to ensure I get the correct connector for the BCS exhaust