Make a donation

Author Topic: Cold start issues  (Read 832 times)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
Cold start issues
« on: December 18, 2021, 01:19:03 pm »
I've had this for a while but seems to be a bit worse recently. Engine is a BWA on about 90K now. Was fully serviced earlier this year, belt, water pump etc. Timing chain and tensioner was checked but surprisingly still well within spec so not changed. Engine was previously in a low mileage Eos owned by an elderly couple from new so was never pushed and probably explains it.

Recently it's been having trouble starting when cold, damp etc. Only ever after a night and the first start of the morning. Any thoughts? Starter? Alternator? Battery was replaced new about 1.5 years ago. Coils?

Car itself is on 190K.

Also no codes from a scan with VCDS.

Any thoughts?

Offline Trav Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Cold start issues
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 03:41:18 pm »
Maybe the injectors may need a clean as could be jets slightly blocked

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 04:12:08 pm »
What exactly is the issue?  Takes several cranks to fire up, or fires up quickly but then runs rough until it warms up?

Lengthy cranking can be either of the fuel pumps getting weak, or a badly clogged fuel filter.

Rough running during warm-up can be caused by severe carbon build up, tired injectors, someone removing the tumble flaps, worn out spark plugs etc.

Since none of the critical sensors have fault coded, it's going to be a fuel delivery or spark issue.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 08:20:00 am »
Thanks both, it runs fine once started, can just take some cranking to start, maybe not an issue at all but just seems to have gotten worse with the recent cold and damp weather.