Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear caliper / handbrake issue  (Read 2693 times)

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Rear caliper / handbrake issue
« on: February 03, 2022, 08:56:58 am »
I'm having an issue with my passenger rear handbrake not holding the car. A few months ago on a trip back from London I notice a metallic tinkling noise coming from the passenger rear when the window was open at the back. When I pressed the brakes the noise went away but upon looking at the rear wheel it was black with brake dust and the rest of the wheels was fine.
I've took the wheel off and disconnected the handbrake cable to make sure the lever is moving fine and seems OK with a pry bar. I've also bought a replacement caliper, brembo discs and pads all round as mine are well shot.
My question tho is if the brake dust is a sticky caliper dragging then why is the handbrake not holding it?. It will work if I really yank the handbrake on but not fully like it used to.

What do you suggest I check? I did have the handbrake fully on and when I cracked the wheel nuts the wheel still moved a tiny bit. Is it the handbrake cable too?
I'm gonna take the back wheels off and jet wash the calipers and surrounding areas then lube the handbrake lever just to check

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 37
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
Re: Rear caliper / handbrake issue
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 04:05:39 pm »
You could have 1 cable stretched more than the other very inexpensive and easy diy  I wire brushed both rear calipers before fitting new cables Now perfect.
ps The pagid cables from ecp do the job just as well

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 04:42:00 pm »
I'm starting to think you could be right. Gonna take out my centre console, cd multi changer and armrest as I've seen a few YouTube channels showing its a right pain lol. Think might be worth to replace them both when the discs and pads get done.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 05:34:21 pm »
I've still got this task to do - ended up with the pagid cables for car parts for less, they look suspiciously similar to the QH ones that are even cheaper on ebay.
Someone recently on here managed to rip out the guide tube to the HB lever as the cable and tube had tried to become one.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 07:48:20 pm »
I have a few posts up about my caliper / cable / tube replacement. Worth reading. Basically, I think it is worth cutting the end off inside the car before pulling through from the outside.

I realised that the steel cable was not moving inside the outer on one side. When lifting the handbrake the cable was actually pulling the outer and the inner at the same time, I’m not 100% sure in retrospect if I needed the caliper.

Worth lifting the rear of the car (both sides) and pulling the handbrake click by click to see if the strength of the handbrake is the same on both sides. Once you have done that, get the wheels off and take a good look at how much the caliper lever arm is moving and what the cable is doing.

Everything is straight forward unless the cable gets stuck inside the tube. :smiley:

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 09:08:56 pm »
Yeah thanks man will do. I've ordered the ECP handbrake cable just incase its that.

Just threw me why I've got black brake dust all over the alloy on the side as tho it's dragging. Making me think it's the caliper too?

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 09:17:15 am »
There should be no more than 1.5mm on each caliper with the handbrake off.

I remember having to adjust mine when I changed the caliper and it not biting properly.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 09:24:53 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 10:38:01 am »
So mines about right?

It's git the same gap as the replacement caliper I've got

Will take off the drivers rear tmr and see if they look the same
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:42:30 am by DBXdarkangel »

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 12:34:54 pm »
I'm starting to think you could be right. Gonna take out my centre console, cd multi changer and armrest as I've seen a few YouTube channels showing its a right pain lol. Think might be worth to replace them both when the discs and pads get done.
From the inside give the 2 tubes a good amount of penetration spray before removing the cables and some grease on the bare cable before install  The tubes didnt show any signs of movement on mine even after 14yrs :happy2:
 Once you have access underneath its a simple job.
Pulling the cable from underneath is easy as long as you grip the correct area NOT the metal tube

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 11:00:10 am »
So just tested the handbrake function and with the handbrake off, the wheel is binding to turn by hand. It looks like the outer edge of the the pads are rubbing on the disc inner lip.
I added a video of the hand brake moving freely. I'm thinking it's the discs and pads that need changing and if it's still binding then it's the caliper that need replacing too.

Offline toom01

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 04:57:43 pm »

I remember having to adjust mine when I changed the caliper and it not biting properly.

Hi, please how you gets this gap 1.5 to 3mm? When I pull handbrake on first tooth then see right side going first. Then second tooth right going more and left move 1mm, and on 3 tooth position right going again and left going 2mm. The right said on second tooth you can't move well, and left on 3 tooth still little move. Left caliper is new and from then I have proble How get left and right said go straight? Do I need unscrew something on caliper and pull so I gets this gaps 1.5mm. Thanks

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 08:27:31 pm »

Hi, please how you gets this gap 1.5 to 3mm? When I pull handbrake on first tooth then see right side going first. Then second tooth right going more and left move 1mm, and on 3 tooth position right going again and left going 2mm. The right said on second tooth you can't move well, and left on 3 tooth still little move. Left caliper is new and from then I have proble How get left and right said go straight? Do I need unscrew something on caliper and pull so I gets this gaps 1.5mm. Thanks
Adjustment is under the centre console slightly behind the handbrake itself  10mm spanner to adjust L and R cables to get a 1.5-3mm gap  If you need to replace cables get genuine I replaced mine with eurocarparts pagid They rusted very quickly