Make a donation

Author Topic: How much power can a standard internals 1.8t make?  (Read 3486 times)

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
How much power can a standard internals 1.8t make?
« on: February 27, 2022, 02:03:29 pm »
Apparently near to 600 BHP:

This has been a series created by CO Mortorsports on YouTube - They took a complete sh*tbox of a Bolf with standard engine, throwing in aftermarket ECU, big turbo & manifold, bigger injectors, better fuel pump, big front mount, with everything else standard - then careful tuning to keep torque from spiking stopping the rods from giving up, dyno graph is supper linear and shallow.

They thought they were done in the previous episode at 440, even took it for a terrifying drive on very snowy Canadian streets.

From the start of the series they were expecting it to grenade - in the episode above they thought there was more power to be found, they seem genuinely confused that it is still holding together after more than 10 dyno runs at over 500.

They are a great channel do lots of Mk5/6 stuff, definitely worth a subscription

Complete playlist for the 18hoopty here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLth4IPq7RyL4T8SQ4q6KBvHA4dpM8ldRY

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: How much power can a standard internals 1.8t make?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 12:08:00 pm »
As you say, it's not shoving too much boost in, too quickly.  1.8T conrods banana very easily as they are literally the same as the old Golf 16V's  :grin:  Anything over 300hp was asking for it back in the day, but that was with much smaller, spikier turbos.

The turbo they used on this MK4 was the same one I used on my VR6 I think, which did fook all until 3500rpm on that engine, so on a little 1.8, the lag must be horrific.  He did say that though in the previous episode  :grin:

So going by that, perhaps a CDL/BYD could make a 1000hp then if you creep up on it slowly with a gigantic turbo  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 07:22:47 pm »
They do lots of 2.0 TFSI stuff too, back to back testing of go faster stuff & as its North America a lot of turbo VR6's too.
I suspect they will move onto a Mk5 after the 1.8 pops - can't see any reason not to as they have all the good stuff from Mk4.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 01:32:09 pm »
They are up to 587 and have ran out of turbo!

This was a 2.5 hour live stream, with a lot of hanging around, it starts getting interesting 50 minutes in.
Their workshop is in a residential area, they have a sound curfew of 9pm, so they could not continue any further.
When it eventually pops they plan to do a full post mortem on the engine.
They also discussed what engines to try next, mentioned running a DI engine on syvex software.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 01:48:01 pm by LC5F »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 12:30:06 pm »
Good work! 

I think they're in Canada and can only get 91 octane maximum, equivalent to our 95. So making those numbers on sh1t fuel is a great achievement  :congrats:

Christ, the Syvecs TFSI plug-n-play ECU is 3.5 grand. They're really going for it!  Not much choice though really. Only Syvecs and MoTeC make proper DI ECUs, but Syvecs are the only one that do P&P for our cars.  Totally not worth it on a road car as the factory unit is more than capable, but for race cars and what they're doing, there's nothing better.  I think the Syvecs DSG controller is another couple of K on top of that  :surprised: Actually, I think you could buy unlocked Bosch Motorsport ECUs for way less than that...... :thinking:  The MK5 cup race cars used them.  Basically the factory ECU but without all the nanny state torque modelling BS and the ability to ditch annoying MAFs and use MAP sensors for fuelling instead.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 12:34:27 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D