Make a donation

Author Topic: Converting cluster and Aircon over to MK6 and BAP protocol  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Converting cluster and Aircon over to MK6 and BAP protocol
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:07:56 pm »
I have been looking around to see if its possible to get the climatic information on the RNS510, and from what ive read it isnt possible to do this as the newer climatronic needs to use the BAP protocol to communicate the info via the CAN gateway, which will royally mess up the communication between the RNS and the highline and MFSW.  Firstly is this correct?

My second question is then, having looked at this image of a German MK5 golf (based on tunnel dash and wing mirror shape) which clearly shows the new cluster (white display BAP compatible) and the new climatic (BAP compatible) can you change both over along with the S revision CAN gateway (MK6 golf i belive) and then get all this functionality?

I then suppose the only question is would I want to go to all this hassle?

I do need to replace my clusters to get high-line, and my CAN gateway anyway to upgrade firmware on the RNS, so is the extra of MK6 climatronic worthwhile?

What do all you clever people think?????   :laugh:

I now realise thats the interior from a 2010 Jetta not golf, but the interior panels are the same as the MK5 so I would assume all the fitments would be the same.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:14:33 pm by Richn83 »

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: Converting cluster and Aircon over to MK6 and BAP protocol
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:00:22 pm »
There's a big (21 pages) thread over on VWNavi.com about this which I've sort of skimmed over in the past and I think the summary is that you'd need the following:

• A new CAN 2.0 capable gateway
  • A new climatronic interface
  • A new central electrics control module
  • A new piece of dash trim originally from a Jetta

I think that's what it came down to... it gets rather confusing after a while. :confused:

I actually considered it for about a millisecond but it all sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain... but then I'm a modding lightweight! :wink:

Damien

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:25:25 pm »
 :wink:

I'm watching this very closely and have got 2 climate consoles in my watched list on the bay.

I will be attempting once I have all the parts but its not for the faint hearted :laugh:

Darren

cameluk

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 07:30:13 pm »
As above but if you car is newer than week 45/07 then it looks like you need to dismantle the dashboard to replace the two motor setup with a single motor

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:42:26 pm »
Baz it needs the top of the a/c box replacing so you can replace the 2 motors for 1 like you said.  Its so the recirc and outside air can open and close together,  you also need the air quality sensor which is located under the wiper motor.

Darren

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:11 am »
Darren, if you get this working, come and show me. I've been considering this too!

On a side note, you fancy popping round and resetting my air bag light again this weekend?
This idiot turned on the ignition with it disconnected again  :ashamed:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:58:48 pm »
Sounds like a big project...and not for the faint hearted!!!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:05:46 pm »
Hi Garth may be able to do it Sunday afternoon, In London tomorrow and doing Rich's auto leveling for his xenons.

Darren