Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine light and engine stutter  (Read 1821 times)

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Engine light and engine stutter
« on: May 18, 2022, 12:06:12 am »
So my 2008 GTI Manual has an issue.

The car has its check engine light on. Codes a P0300 - p0304. Multiple misfires on all cylinders.
New plugs, coil packs, upgraded fuel pump.
Car has a K04 kit, Powervalve exhaust, upgraded S3 intercooler.
Tuned 2+ 365bhp.
The car stutters, backfires and shakes at 3500bhp when revving at stand still. Not when driving.
It might of had the issue before the K04 kit and tune because the awful previous owner had the check engine light covered up!
Heading back to the tuner next week but he doesn’t think it’s the map or ECU.
Anyone have a clue what it could be?

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Engine light and engine stutter
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 12:12:39 am »
Also, I’ve ordered another ECU on eBay, when it arrives I might swap them and see if the fault is still there. Or at least give it to the tuning company to try.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9sh0ghmoqllgpr58dq1aq0q3pg&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 07:32:03 am »
Impossible to say with the information provided so far.

Are those the only fault codes?

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 07:39:58 am »
Has the car been tuned to 2+ previously then got an issue or is it being tuned, only to find an issue?

Have read on here and on the various FB groups about stage 2+ cars breaking the ringlands on the pistons.

Compression test and leakdown required.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 08:38:08 am »
Yep, I think I'd be starting with some data logging and then mechanical checks if that all checks out.  A compression / leak down test might not be a bad idea.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 04:29:35 pm »
Impossible to say with the information provided so far.

Are those the only fault codes?

Yes, those are the only codes.

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 04:33:30 pm »
Yep, I think I'd be starting with some data logging and then mechanical checks if that all checks out.  A compression / leak down test might not be a bad idea.

I did ask my mechanic to check for a gasket, he assures me it isn’t,  though I’ll double check to see if he did a compression test. Would the stutter be a symptom?

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 04:36:28 pm »
Has the car been tuned to 2+ previously then got an issue or is it being tuned, only to find an issue?

Have read on here and on the various FB groups about stage 2+ cars breaking the ringlands on the pistons.

Compression test and leakdown required.

No, the car wasn’t tuned before. Though after the tune is when I noticed the covered up engine light from the previous owner. And then realised the light was on.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 09:08:32 am »

I did ask my mechanic to check for a gasket, he assures me it isn’t,  though I’ll double check to see if he did a compression test. Would the stutter be a symptom?

It won't be the head gasket, they never pop on these engines.

Stuttering and back firing etc with no load (revving when stationary) doesn't necessarily point to poor cylinder compression.  It could be sensor / fuel delivery related, so data logging is the next step. If the crank sensor goes, 3500rpm is about your limit in terms of revs, so might be worth checking that.  Does it drive past 3500rpm on the road?  Any hard rev cuts?

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 01:32:49 pm »

It won't be the head gasket, they never pop on these engines.

Stuttering and back firing etc with no load (revving when stationary) doesn't necessarily point to poor cylinder compression.  It could be sensor / fuel delivery related, so data logging is the next step. If the crank sensor goes, 3500rpm is about your limit in terms of revs, so might be worth checking that.  Does it drive past 3500rpm on the road?  Any hard rev cuts?

It drives ok, maybe a slight misfire at idle. Though I noticed it stuttering slightly when engine braking. Anyways it’s currently at Autotune to see if they can find what it is. Fingers crossed they figure it out.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 03:20:50 pm »
Good stuff.  Please do let us know how it goes as so many people never follow up on problems, leaving 100s of threads unanswered for newbies  :happy2:

Offline christii

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 10:35:42 pm »
Good stuff.  Please do let us know how it goes as so many people never follow up on problems, leaving 100s of threads unanswered for newbies  :happy2:

Result!!

It was the ECU! Autotune transferred the map onto the new ECU and no more engine light.
The car is driving better as well. No more stutter, and before it was pooping and banging a lot. I thought it was the map but it’s doing it far less now.

:happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 08:44:37 am »
Interesting! I've not seen an ECU fail on these cars before but anything's possible I guess.  Glad it's back to full health again  :happy2: