Make a donation

Author Topic: Is Resonator Delete a performance Mod?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Is Resonator Delete a performance Mod?
« on: June 11, 2022, 11:13:14 am »
Hi all,
I was looking to get a resonator delete on my 2007 MK5 gti. I spoke to my insurance company but the agent didn't really know much about modifications and just said that as long as it's a non-performance exhaust then I wouldn't be charged anything extra. I won't however be insured for anything performance based.

My question is: would a resonator delete be considered a performance mod?

My opinion is that it's not as the increase in bhp is very small and it's main purpose is to make the car sound better rather than increase power.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Offline SANDEGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Is Resonator Delete a performance Mod?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 09:12:30 pm »
Honestly, insurance companies consider pretty much anything but stock parts as performance mods. It should be in their interest to do a bit of research and give you a definitive answer, perhaps call them again as yours seem quite relaxed!
Stage 2+ 2005 Laser Blue

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 10:29:00 am »
Honestly, insurance companies consider pretty much anything but stock parts as performance mods. It should be in their interest to do a bit of research and give you a definitive answer, perhaps call them again as yours seem quite relaxed!

I probably will give a call again to try and talk to someone who is a bit more clued up on this stuff. Or even see if they can talk to one of the underwriters. The agent on the phone said that their definition of ‘performance exhaust’ is one that increases flow rate and causes a bhp increase. So they just said just make sure it doesn’t cause a bhp increase. A resonator delete however only ever so slightly increases
bhp because there is slightly less restriction on exhaust.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 06:26:26 pm »

I probably will give a call again to try and talk to someone who is a bit more clued up on this stuff. Or even see if they can talk to one of the underwriters. The agent on the phone said that their definition of ‘performance exhaust’ is one that increases flow rate and causes a bhp increase. So they just said just make sure it doesn’t cause a bhp increase. A resonator delete however only ever so slightly increases
bhp because there is slightly less restriction on exhaust.

So in your own words - taking away the resonator both increases flow rate, and increases bhp (if only by a little bit).  The insurance company have said that it's a performance mod if it "increases flow rate and causes a bhp increase".  You've answered your own questions right there.  It will be black and white, not grey - any mod that might increase bhp will definitely be a performance mod. Otherwise where do you draw the line... 1bhp? 5bhp? 10bhp? etc.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 06:44:04 pm »
Just declare it as a mod.

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 07:17:40 pm »
Just declare it as a mod.

I am going to declare as mod. The question is whether its a ‘performance’ exhaust mod or ‘non-performance’. Problem is they said they can’t insure if its performance.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 10:02:48 am »
It's not a performance mod.

Why even bother if its such a hassle just for more (annoying to everyone else) noise, or change insurance company to one more competent?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 10:48:01 am »
It's not a performance mod.

Why even bother if its such a hassle just for more (annoying to everyone else) noise, or change insurance company to one more competent?

‘Annoying’ is subjective. It’s like music to my ears. I’d rather listen to that than music in the car to be honest.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 01:16:22 pm »
It's annoying at 6am when some chav down the road wakes me up with his exhaust.

Hmmmmm, V6, V8, V10, straight 5..... they all sound musical.  VAG 4 pots have to be the dullest sounding engines ever, but what ever floats yo' boat I guess!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 01:49:36 pm »
It's annoying at 6am when some chav down the road wakes me up with his exhaust.

Hmmmmm, V6, V8, V10, straight 5..... they all sound musical.  VAG 4 pots have to be the dullest sounding engines ever, but what ever floats yo' boat I guess!

🤣🤣 couldn’t help but laugh at this. I get what you mean but do bear in mind that resonators don’t increase the loudness too much. Thats the mufflers job to keep things quiet.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 02:19:05 pm »
A res delete on the standard GTI system will quadruple if not more, the noise.

I did it to mine ages ago and it droned on journeys.......then added a high flow resonator, that helped but still droned.........ended up putting the original back in.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI