Make a donation

Author Topic: Adolf the Golf  (Read 12753 times)

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
Re: Adolf the Golf
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2023, 10:15:44 am »
Yes replace the bearing, cured my issue. What happens is the magnetic ring rusts, swells and breaks up sometimes wearing the end of the sensor away.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2023, 11:40:07 am »
The rings are removable/replaceable but there are two sizes of rear bearings so need to remove stuff to find out which one your car is fitted with.  TPS and dealer do not know when looking up the car.

I replaced my magnetic rings a few years ago due to them falling apart and bring up error codes........fine ever since.

A lot cheaper than a bearing if it is still good, as paid about £8 for a ring..........dont ask me what size I got, as can not remember  :thinking:

Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2023, 03:14:55 pm »
Thanks all..I have it in my head to replace the suspension and bushes etc so new bearings are on the list, already done the shocks and dampers after all...ever expanding! Be nice to stop firefighting and do some cosmetic bits too soon! Have crusty front wings, one rear arch too plus 4 of the worst refurbished wheels ever! Lol...me and a mate looked and we don't think the did anything but sand down the old bubbles of white worm and spray over them..oh well...from 50 paces Adolf looks the tits still in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2023, 05:11:34 pm »
So Monday off of work and time for an oil and filter change...did buy an oil suction device but it was useless...had to get under to swap the filter anyway I suppose! Also gave it a good wash and polish for good measure. Always seems odd polishing a rusty pair of wings! Tried to fit the 2nd hose for the PCV but no joy...it is an utter pain to do when under time pressure. Also two new front tyres...Pirelli P7s...nothing special, but have a set of 17s that might end up shod with something stickier..

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2023, 01:56:04 pm »
So I did the thermostat..wow. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy, utter nightmare of a job. Alternator out was bad enough really, but then everything seemed to fight back. The good news is while I was there I did the bigger PCV hose as I had no skin on any knuckles anyways! The fabulous news is it now sits at 90 degrees on the gauge and the car runs better all round! As I disconnected the battery I am struggling to get the steering angle sensor to reset with the old left, right, centre method..can't clear it with OBDeleven either..well its off to Fastfit for tracking on Friday and if I haven't got round to it by then it can be on their to do list! I think before Le Mans I might try to fit some Lothian wings to tart the old boy up a bit...then I gotta find somewhere to redo the wheels. They have looked sh*te from the day I got it. Seems silly to throw tyres on sh*tty wheels but needs must!

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 37
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2023, 04:46:24 pm »
Steering sensor can take a few goes to clear Im sure mine too k 4/5 attempts   :happy2:

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2023, 04:49:19 pm »
I'll give it a few more goes before i wave the white flag  :happy2:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2023, 06:05:07 pm »
I like the crow bar on the cam cover.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2023, 06:08:30 pm »
@bobby_fodge it is the smallest i own to be fair...that alternator didn't want to just wiggle out by hand! If ever you need a thermostat changed i'd recommend paying the money..utter sh*te of a job to do! Plus i always have a back up if i need to hit something with a crowbar on hand lol

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2023, 06:13:33 pm »
I think I paid 300/400 at a good indy maybe four years ago.

Pelican parts have a how-to guide but it just looks like a weekend of frustration and lost blood to me.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2023, 06:25:42 pm »
You were bang on...not a single part of the job went smoothly. I have done engine swaps that went better than that tbh ( not on a mk5 )

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2023, 08:40:54 pm »
I'll give it a few more goes before i wave the white flag  :happy2:

If it's any consolation I had the exact same issue! Tried, tried and tried again and it wouldn't clear... I'd started to think there was a bigger issue with the car as it had sat for 18 months before this but I took it out on a decent drive and it cleared while I was driving about  :jumpmove:

Did you have any luck?

P.S nice to see another active thread on here  :drinking:

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2023, 08:50:44 pm »
Yes as of today I have no warning lights at all!! Haven't been able to say that for a few months too...no abs/traction/tps light and no steering wheel light too! Yay..she is in for 4 wheel alignment ( road biased) in the morning as I can't see a track day happening for a few months now..all it will do is take my boy to football practice and maybe Costco at a push and I don't want it so twitchy if HRH decides to jump in.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2023, 09:19:57 am »
Wheels are off for a refurb today. Back to factory with the grey middles and a diamond cut faces. Was tempted by black middles like the mk6, but think the factory look is best. Hopefully be done Friday afternoon ready to be refitted ready to go to Le Mans next week. Also a pair of front wings are coming from the bodyshop and are due Monday all things going well I'll get them on before setting off Thursday morning.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2023, 12:17:35 pm »
So the wheels came back looking amazing! Had to have the edges rolled as I hadn't noticed but 2 had already been done and it would have looked odd otherwise. Went for the grey middles as per factory rather than black like the MK6's...also 2 new wings from Lothian. All credit to the paintwork . I have a background as a vehicle appraiser before I got to be an auctioneer and was trained to look for poor paint and poor repairs and these are great. The wing isn't VW alignment out of the box but isn't VW money either. A bit of patience and it's as good as the others ever were. For the money you can not go wrong. I think LC9Z is probably a total batch to get right but they did. I also cleaned the living daylights out of the wheel arches before the also cleaned and polished arch liners went back in. Looking good for the roadtrip to Le Mans on Thursday morning!